• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Shooting - When Lightning Strikes.

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:50 AM
  • 0 Replies

So, I work at a University and my boss forwarded an educational training video to our entire office to watch after what happened Friday at Sandy Hook.  It was about what to do in the rare event you are involved in a school shooting.  My boss instructed everyone in the office to watch the video and list two things they learned.  I learned a lot and couldn't narrow it to only two things.  I want to share the bullet points of what I learned from this informational video:

Things I learned (way more than the 'two things' you asked)....it was just so informational I couldn't pick just two:

• if I hear something I think 'might' be a gunshot, assume it is a gunshot.  (gunshots in real life will not sound like what we are used to hearing in the movies which have special sound effects -- it may sound like a popping or be muffled).  
  • survival mindset and awareness - do what it takes to survive. (awareness, preparation and rehearsal ---- get out -- hide out --- or, take out).  Commit to action.
  • Turn off cellphone if hiding out -- turn off anything that could alert shooter to where I am.
  • Be aware of my surroundings in classrooms and be mindful of exits or what I could hide behind.  Ask "what if?"
  • Spread out, don't huddle for protection or moral support - make it difficult for the shooter.
  • When faced with the shooter in a 'life or death' situation, I can't just sit and let him harm me or take my life or my friends' lives.....throw things, gang up on him and act as a team with others to do whatever it takes to overcome the shooter. (take out)
  • Do not scream or yell or expect attention when law enforcement arrives --- show hands and drop to floor.
  • Report my observations and feelings about people I may feel are a possible danger to themselves or others.
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)