Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you are atheist (just a question) NO bashing or anything just a question.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 62 Replies

If you are atheist do you celebrate Christmas?

Just asking because I know a family that does. To me it doesn't make sense. Either you do or don't believe in Christ.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Yes. We celebrate a secular christmas. We have a tree, do presents (santa) and spend time as a family. No where in there do we ever mention christ or any religious dogma.

Piskie
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Why do Christians celebrate it, most things associated with it are pagan in origin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
poshkat
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:00 PM

us too

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Yes. We celebrate a secular christmas. We have a tree, do presents (santa) and spend time as a family. No where in there do we ever mention christ or any religious dogma.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:00 PM
3 moms liked this

There is no double standard. I don't believe in a god. I don't believe in Christ. I celebrate a holiday that has been secular for the last 50 or so years. I celebrate a holiday which Christians stole from pagans to legitimize their claims to a throne. You celebrate the birth of Christ two months belated.

prncesspeach
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM
Yup. This

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
..MoonShine..
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Pretty much ALL aspects of Christmas have something to do with Pagan belief. Even the birth story is not original.

OP...it is NOT a double standard. Christmas is not a religious celebration for everyone. Many people celebrate a secular version...where giving and love and family are the dominant aspects. We celebrate Yule and Christmas, since our families celebrate Christmas...but we do not celebrate the bury of Jesus.

Quoting Piskie:

Why do Christians celebrate it, most things associated with it are pagan in origin.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM

We celebrate the birth of Christ. Christmas isn't about the presents or the tree. Its about the birth of Christ.

Im not looking to start anything. It was just a question. I was just curious.

So is that why they say Happy Holidays in stores now instead of Merry Christmas?

Quoting Piskie:

Fatal_Frost
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes I celebrate Christmas, since it is not a holiday owned by Christians... funny thing about it, is its pagan roots, and the fact that it isn't even Jesus's birthday, just a date Christians long ago pulled out of their asses... in my house Christmas is about giving, about family, and about Santa... and some wonderful baking, and Christmas movies...
..MoonShine..
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM
They say Happy Holidays because there are MANY holidays celebrated at this time of year, not just Christmas.

Quoting Anonymous:

We celebrate the birth of Christ. Christmas isn't about the presents or the tree. Its about the birth of Christ.

Im not looking to start anything. It was just a question. I was just curious.

So is that why they say Happy Holidays in stores now instead of Merry Christmas?

Quoting Piskie:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by SakePrincess on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Lots of people celebrate Christmas without believing in Christ.

It's not a "double standard".  It's "doing what we like".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)