Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please Toughen Up Your Fragile Children!

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM
  • 53 Replies
1 mom liked this

I realize that children are different, partly because of personality and some because of upbringing. But please...for the love of God, don't cripple your child by letting them be so delicate and fragile that you can't take them anywhere without them having a meltdown over stupid little things. Before I go any further, let me say that I am not talking about children with special needs or disorders.

Let me give one of many examples. My friend stopped by my house with her almost 2 year old. This child drives me insane every time he is at my home. He is a daddy's boy which is all well and good, but Daddy is a helicopter and has caused this child to be delicate. When he plays outside, his dad stays right over him and guards him from silly things. It's only recently that the kid will even venture into the grass. He pushed one my kids' little bubble blowing lawn mower and it made the rattling noise it's supposed to make and he went running behind his dad. So when my friend came by with him the other day, they walked in and he whined the WHOLE TIME!!! He was terrified of my dog...who showed no interest in him...and just laid on the floor....ignoring him. He even whined when a cat walked by him. My kids tried to play with him, and he was afraid of them. They tried to include him in things that kids his age are supposed to enjoy and he ran from them. I was so happy when she got her whiny delicate child out of my house. He sits in his dad's lap all the time and never actually experiences anything.

Why do parents do this to their children??? Protect them. Keep from anything harmful...But don't cripple them!

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Sounds extreme, as usual.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
You raise your kids I'll raise mine
SterlingHeart
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:04 PM

i agree 

got2monsters
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM
i kinda did that w my first kid, first time mom paranoia, however with my second, i was like "if youre crying youre still breathing, good with me" lol, jk. but i did chill wayyyy out w my second.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetPea2004
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I agree. I remember when dd(my only) was a toddler other parents would gasp and go towards dd when she fell. I just sat and watched their silliness dd was fine.

CafeMom Tickers
dee1603
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM
Ridiculous
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmymonkeys27
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

My daughter is one of the toughest kids I know, but she will not stand on grass. Drives me nuts. 

Sorry, that was kinda off topic.

Stephd710
by Emerald Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I agree with you.  My little girls are pretty tough (2 yrs old).  I dont freak out when they fall unless there is blood.  Im usually just like"Oops!  Get up, youre ok!"  or I will laugh and then they will laugh too.  I let them find out the hard way about things if they dont listen to my warnings.  For example:  I have a box fan at home, it has plastic fan blades (they dont hurt, Ive stuck my fingers in there several times on accident moving it), well my daughter kept trying to stick her finger through the slots, i warned her several times it was going to give her an ouchy but she didnt listen, well.....she stuck her finger in it, it got her and scared her (she wasnt hurt) and she cried.  But she doesnt go near the fan anymore!    

MrsErdos2011
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I do helicopter a little but it's because my instincts overpower my logic sometimes. 

MsRkg
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:08 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't understand this type of parenting either. Thankfully hubby and I are on the same page when it comes to our son and we leave him to enjoy and discover the world on his own and watch the joy on his face as he does so. It's not the end of the world if he eats some dirt lol. At 7 now he is fiercely independent and he loves it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)