• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The silent victims of eating disorders

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 55 Replies

I just read a post on the "In The Bedroom" board that caught my attention... I'm sure the girl's problems are legitimate, but the responses I saw really pissed me off. Some of the girls were talking about their "eating disorders" and issues with body image and feeling fat, so I have to say this:

It kind of irritates me when completely normal sized or smaller girls complain about being fat. Before you sit there and feel ungrateful for the way your body looks, why don't you consider how it is for those who are truly overweight and have struggled with it their whole lives? Everyone acts like anorexia/bulimia (which more often than not are used for attention, sorry to say) are the only eating disorders out there, and they aren't.

So while you're getting all the attention you're asking for by claiming a "skinny girl" eating disorder, all those girls you've ever known that were heavy and never complained are probably suffering in complete silence because nobody takes them seriously. The guy whose attention you were trying to get by whining "I'M SO FAT" is probably the same guy that ruthlessly ridiculed an actual overweight girl earlier that day. Those girls that have REAL weight problems, the ones that get made fun of both to their faces and behind their backs, every day of their lives. The ones that can't go shopping without crying not because "ohhhh I feel so fat in this shirt, look at me!!" but because they really, truly can't find clothes that fit properly. Those girls cry themselves to sleep at night, refuse to let a man see them naked, constantly pull at their clothes to hide themselves, and nobody bothers to care about them and their problems.

I'm just saying.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you understand that a person with body dysmorphia, bulemia, or anorexia has a mental disorder?  I thought not by your post.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM
3 moms liked this
I get what she's saying. She's not talking about people with actual EDs, she's talking about the girls who say they're fat to fish for compliments. At least I hope that's what she's saying because otherwise her post makes no sense.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you understand that a person with body dysmorphia, bulemia, or anorexia has a mental disorder?  I thought not by your post.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
winkyloafer
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM
You've made some valid points here but some of the skinny to normal-sized girls complaining about being fat could be suffering from body dysmorphic disorder, which in turn could bring on an eating disorder. None of these should be taken lightly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Do I understand that someone that ACTUALLY HAS one of those has a mental disorder? Yes I do. Do YOU understand that a staggering number of women use it for attention? I thought not by your comment.

Quoting Anonymous:

Mrs.Miller11
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM

you seriously have no idea how eating disorders work.

just sayin and all....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM
2 moms liked this

You have no clue about eating disorders. They do it for attention? lmao 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I completely agree. But neither should obesity, and if other eating disorders and diseases are treated as serious, obese women deserve to have their cases considered as serious medical issues as well.

Quoting winkyloafer:

You've made some valid points here but some of the skinny to normal-sized girls complaining about being fat could be suffering from body dysmorphic disorder, which in turn could bring on an eating disorder. None of these should be taken lightly.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
They do. Have you not heard of the war on obesity? It is recognized as a serious problem.

Quoting Anonymous:

I completely agree. But neither should obesity, and if other eating disorders and diseases are treated as serious, obese women deserve to have their cases considered as serious medical issues as well.

Quoting winkyloafer:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
winkyloafer
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM
It's sad that for the most part, obesity is socially accepted now. It's an epidemic for a reason but many who truly are don't see it as an issue.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting winkyloafer:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I'm willing to bet that half the people that come on here to bitch about how wrong this post is are the people that either fake eating disorders, or refuse to acknowledge the other end of the spectrum and probably make fun of heavy people.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)