Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Dumpster babies" did you realize the number was this high?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM
  • 4 Replies

I was just reading a book about the phenomenon of delivering a baby and then throwing it away. According to statistics this occurs once every day in the US!! I was shocked! The Center for Disease Control says 45% of these occur in the first 24 hours of life and the odds for being killed in this time is 10 times greater than anytime for the rest of your life.  And they think there are many more not found! Since 1999, all 50 states have enacted "safe haven" laws, but the numbers still haven't declined! 

I guess it's not new! It happened so often in the Middle Ages, a law called the Stuart Bastard Infanticide Act of 1624 was enacted making moms prove their babies were stillborn. 

Im pretty shocked by this!! I guess I thought this was a very rare occurrence.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:06 PM
There was an infant found on the side of a secluded logging road in the winter when I was 12.I don't understand how a woman can carry to term, delivery that baby, then just throw them away......hell when my kids were newborn, I wouldn't allow them more than 5 feet away from me. There was no way I could have disposed of them.
KayLundy3
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:08 PM
I don't understand either.. why not at least bring them somewhere safe.

Quoting Anonymous:

There was an infant found on the side of a secluded logging road in the winter when I was 12.I don't understand how a woman can carry to term, delivery that baby, then just throw them away......hell when my kids were newborn, I wouldn't allow them more than 5 feet away from me. There was no way I could have disposed of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:45 PM
The baby that was found made national news, it is a miracle he survived. He was abandoned in the snow.....they never did figure out who the mother was or exactly how old he was..........
I will never wrap my brain around abandoning an infant...... For fucks sake, at least give them a fighting chance, leave them some where safe.
macysmom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:47 PM
A girl in my town delivered, and hid the baby in a car in the junk yard. She served time in jail.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)