Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm not a helicopter mom

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:52 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

Another post reminded me of what happened yesterday afternoon.

So I took my ds to the park. There were other children there playing and running so what does my almost 2 yr old do? He takes off running to the sand box to play with the other kids. They were around his age. I put a blanket down on the ground and sat down since the benches were a little to far away from the play ground and i had my 6 month old with me that I sat down in the sand and played with. Anyway, My son was running towards me and tripped over his own feet, as usual =), and fell onto his hands and knees then turned onto his butt. A lady who was there with her kids yelled " oh my gosh that poor baby".  He stared at my face to see my reaction and I smiled at him and said "it's okay buddy, you're okay go ahead and get up and come get a snack". well, he gets up onto his feet and starts laughing, spins around in a circle and runs to go play with the other kids again. =)

But that lady just had to make sure she let me know that I'm a bad mother for not running to my child and I need to take parenting class.

I'm not so upset with her because I smiled at her and totally tuned her out but HEY he didn't come snack with mommy, the little booger =)

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyof2n0308
by Marissa on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM
I kind of am
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM
2 moms liked this
You did the right thing. Kids that young don't know how to react so they copy your reaction.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IntactivistMama
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM
If there's no blood, no broken bones and no head injury: meh. If I freaked every time my maniac 22 month fell down, I'd lose my mind completely. Usually I calmly ask him if he is ok, if it really hurts...he runs to one of us for a quick hug and then returns to his usual insanity...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Saille717

I do the same kind of thing with my own and with the ones I've babysat.  Keep up the good mom job! 

mas2124
1 mom liked this

I'm the same way with my kids. Kids learn panic from panic.

MrsMommy2011
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Of Course if he was seriously injured I would've gotten up but I knew he was okay and he just needed reassurance.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

You did the right thing. Kids that young don't know how to react so they copy your reaction.

mary841108
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:56 PM

i do the same thing, if they fall and i see no blood i say you're good! yay! and there are no tears. (mine are older now, i should say that I used to do the same thing lol)

Cleaning tips, baking recipes, dinner recipes, kids crafts, crafts for the bored mama and more at:

http://theimperfectstepfordwife.wordpress.com/

miabelladebra
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

It's hard not to run over and help them every second of the day. But it also teaches them how to get back up on their own ( literally as you said , and in many other ways as they grow older) 

winkyloafer
I wish I was a helicopter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsMommy2011
1 mom liked this

He is the same way. If he is hurting he runs to me and dh to get a hug and he'll sit with us until he feels better.

Quoting IntactivistMama:

If there's no blood, no broken bones and no head injury: meh. If I freaked every time my maniac 22 month fell down, I'd lose my mind completely. Usually I calmly ask him if he is ok, if it really hurts...he runs to one of us for a quick hug and then returns to his usual insanity...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)