• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IEP and lazy special Ed

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
I have been in a fight with my sons school about getting him a full time para for his general Ed classroom. Well they fight me on it. Yesterday my son left the school grounds during recess which he is suppose to be watched. No one even knew for 10 minutes. He was in the special Ed class before recess and never returned. A 5th grade boy told the office their is a you g child running around the parking lot. By the time I got their nearly knocking over 3 people. A dad I knew was out by my car in the parking lot.

I want to scream at the school. I spent most of the day crying and totally freaked out at the what ifs.

My son is 5 with autism and ADHD and he is on meds for the ADHD. I'm always at the school but I was told the kids are watched well during recess so I was in the copy room during it helping the teacher out.

I'm not sending him back till he has a para now full time around the clock. I'm so angry.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
dsebastian23
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I thank god everyday that our school has their playgrounds fenced in now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:48 PM
We have 3 openings in our fence and that's for the portables on the other side of the school to come in. I'm going to ask when the K class is out how about locking those gate doors.

Quoting dsebastian23:

I thank god everyday that our school has their playgrounds fenced in now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Schools don't usually do full time para's... they do PSR's, which are completely different.  Some schools contract with them, some don't.  Depends on funds and that disability.  You could try that route.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:20 PM
Our school does have them. In fact my son is one of the only special needs K that doesn't have one.

Quoting Anonymous:

Schools don't usually do full time para's... they do PSR's, which are completely different.  Some schools contract with them, some don't.  Depends on funds and that disability.  You could try that route.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I can't blame you. There's no excuse for them putting your son's life in jeopardy like that. Have you looked into getting an advocate?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:27 PM
I will have to if today doesn't go how I want it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I can't blame you. There's no excuse for them putting your son's life in jeopardy like that. Have you looked into getting an advocate?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I am so sorry.

Due Process.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I hope everything goes well. I'm very fortunate that my son's school has met all his needs. They have even offered assistance with things I didn't even think of.

Good luck. ((Hugs))

Quoting Anonymous:

I will have to if today doesn't go how I want it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Well I got a IEP meeting to talk about what we can do to provent this from ever happening again. I told my husband I cant take much more of this crap. If this doesnt get fixed by first grade I will homeschool for 1 year and try for 2nd grade and maybe at a new school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)