Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you feel about... (for an assignment in school)**edit with my written article**

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:05 PM
  • 12 Replies

uniforms?

Should schools have them? would you rather they didnt?

if you're a teacher please put teacher in parenthesis(sp?)

if you're a parent to a highschooler put (HS)

this is for an assignment, please and thankyou :)

thanks for the help guys! :) wrote my article and quoted a couple of you. Hope it doesn't suck! haha

SCHOOL UNIFORMS

SHOULD WE HAVE THEM?

Valerie Ryan

For some years now, uniforms have been both encouraged and discouraged. Usually public schools do not wear uniforms, and most private schools do. Of course you do have some schools that are not quite the same. Some people like the idea of school uniforms, and others do not. I have been on both ends of that debate, and after some long hard thinking I've decided that I like school uniforms.

When I was in grade school, I went to catholic schools and hated the uniform. Dark blue pants, and a red or dark blue shirt. I felt conformed and unexpressive. We had an ugly grey gym shirt with our name neatly printed in an empty green box, and gym shorts no shorter than your middle finger at your sides. Not every school's uniform is the same though; some schools are very strict while others are very lenient.

Schools have the kids dress in uniforms for different reasons. Some say it's because they like to represent their school in a professional and orderly way. Others say they feel it causes the students to stay focused and not criticize the children who are less fortunate than they are and cannot afford name brand clothing. Honestly, there isn't just one reason in particular.

As a parent, my opinion on uniforms has changed. What I didn't realize as a child is how much money my parents spent caring for me. Clothes alone can be quite pricey. The last thing I would want is for my child to feel left out, just because I can't afford the trendy clothes his friends are wearing. I also don't think that many of the clothes that our society encourages young kids to wear is appropriate for their age group.

Of course that's just my own opinion, met15,age17, from answerology writes "I hate them. they surpress creativity, its like saying everyone has to be the same."

But many teachers and parents disagree. aidyns_mommy from cafemom writes "all through school I wished we had uniforms. I hated how judged & bullied everyone was if they "wore the wrong thing""

To my surprise some of the mothers did understand where the students were coming from. M0M0F03 from cafemom says "I'm neutral. I can see the pros and cons. I think it depends on the school environment whether they are needed or not. I have kids in elementary, middle and high school."

This debate has been going on for years, and doesn't seem like it will end anytime soon. So as parents we have to determine if it's something worth changing schools over. Is it something that will affect our children in a negative or positive way? Our goal is to help our children grow into happy successful people and if being with or without a uniform effects that, then we need to put them in the place of education that we feel best suits them.

This debate has been going on for years, and doesn't seem like it will end anytime soon. So as students we have to determine if it's something worth changing schools over. Is it something that will affect our lives and education in a negative or positive way? Our goal is to grow into happy successful people and if being with or without a uniform effects that, then we need to be in a place of education that best suits us.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidyns_mommy
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:06 PM
I am neither, but all through school I wished we had uniforms. I hated how judged & bullied everyone was if they "wore the wrong thing"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:10 PM

As a student I would have loved them. I hated trying to figure out what to wear everyday, especially because I don't like the newest fashions and didn't have a lot of clothes anyway. I always felt like crap because of my crappy clothes.

It's good and bad that students have them. It makes everyone on the same level, which is good, but I'm sure they're not very comfortable and I prefer comfort. It also sucks for kids wanting to express their fashion style and all that but at least you won't have kids getting beat up over clothes.

It doesn't really matter for my child though. We homeschool.

PS Watch Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead and listen to Rose's arguments for uniforms lol

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:11 PM

As much as kids get made fun of over clothing, I wouldn't mind them.

alexakaym
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:14 PM

In highschool, my freshman year I went to catholic school and wore uniforms, then I moved back to California and went to public school. I LOVED uniforms.  I worked from the time I was fifteen and was on my own early, I loved fashion but by no means on a lifeguard/swiminstructer salary (plus working from four am, going to school then back to work until ten to eleven pm) could I afford it or had time to put together used items. It made highschool miserable at some points. I used a an uncles address to attend school, lost my parents, and his address was in a very wealthy neighborhood where kids were stuck up and their clothing was very expensive. Uniforms level the playing field, plus I didn't go through an hour of trying to figure out what to wear.

whoopsie16
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:40 PM

BUMP!

DayDreamer1201
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Girls need to stop looking like sluts and boys need to stop looking like gang bangers. i say yes to uniforms.

(mother of a 3 year old)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M0M0F03
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I'm neutral. I can see the pros and cons. I think it depends on the school environment whether they are needed or not. I have kids in elementary, middle and high school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I feel all schools should require and provide uniforms for each student. It would cut down on bullying and would make the learning enviorment better IMO

Baby4us09
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I have had a child in uniforms and out of uniforms (same child) she said she liked the uniforms better because she didn't have to feel like she had to fit in or made fun of.

I am for them. Spend less. They know what they are going to wear that day and the can concentrate on the task at hand. I home school now but when she did go to school.

Pnukey
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I'm all for them. I'm a teacher. I work in a low-everything middle school. They have a uniform. It's just the school t-shirt and a pair of jeans, so nobody can complain about the cost.  When they do have a "free-dress" day, Lord, have mercy. It's . . . . wow.  I fully support any and all uniform policies in public and private schools. My kids (2nd and 7th grade) don't have to wear uniforms, but if their schools suddenly changed, I'd go right along with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)