• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NO sleepovers for our kids eta

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:24 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this
So Dh and I were talking and both agreed our kids will not be allowed to go to sleepovers until at least they are 13. With all the crazies in the world, I'd just feel safer this way. Now if its a very close friend we know very well maybe. They will be allowed to have anyone they want stay over though. I don't want to ruin all their fun. I never thought I'd be such a scared parent but these days its hard to avoid.

Eta...we are not strict parents at all but this is just something I am scared to let happen. My kids have had a sleepover before when I had surgery the next day and I was okay...just worried they would be scared. Lately though I just want to hold them and not let them out my sight. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessi_James
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Growing up we were never allowed to spend the night at anyones house .. other than a relative. In fact we rarely were allowed to go to friends houses. I probably wont allow my kids to spend the night either, but as long as I know the parents or am there I wouldnt mind them going for a play date. It's much too risky for anything else

happykitty316
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:30 PM

We have a no sleep over policy as well.  They can go over to a friends have their fun, and come back home before bed.  Sleeping over is unneccesary.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM

My kids are only allowed to spend the night at one other house besides family. Only because I have known the mom for years and all of our girls are friends. I don't let my oldest spend the night anywhere else and she is 14. The world is a crazy place. I do let them have sleepovers at home and they invite all their friends but I want to know they are okay.

Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:32 PM
Growing up my brother an I were not allowed to spend the night away from home. I do allow dd to spend the night at her aunt's, and at her grandmothers... That's it. She will not be spending the night with friends or what not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM
Wow, I was allowed to spend the night with my friends when I was a kid. I will allow my children to do the same but only when they're old enough to understand how to get out of a bad situation.
luvmymunchkins3
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:35 PM
ehh that sucks for your kids.you cant keep them in a bubble forever
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beerebelly
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I wish I had started that way back then. It has slowed now but I'll be damned if my boys weren't asking for sleepovers every weekend. So annoying!

wyldebtrfly
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:37 PM

My kids are allowed to spend the night with people I know. They aren't allowed to play in anyone's house if i don't know both the child they are playing with as well as the parents. And by 'know' i don't mean i've seen them once or twice.

mom2ljh
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM
DS is allowed to have and attend sleepovers. I will have to know the parents and be comfortable with it but I refuse to live in fear.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
do11face
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:42 PM

It's no less safe than is used to be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)