Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever been to a school holiday concert that was B A D?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM
  • 8 Replies

I am more than a little worried.    i just saw the most unorganized chaotic frenzy that was supposed to be a dress rehearsal for our holiday concert.   I am a title one teacher/ tutor -  so in no way am i responsible for the concert.   The music teacher is new to our school,  she has taught many years,  but in a cost cutting measure,  the school decided to share a music teacher with our neighboring school.   She is at our school Tuesday and Thursday and their school MWF.     So the teacher isnt here everyday but teaches for an hour once a week to each class.   It was the same class length/frequency last year (but we had a different teacher.)    I am just so worried about how this will refect on our school.    I want to ask you mommas -   how heavy would you weigh that -  if the new music teacher's show was a train wreck?    How much would that make you doubt the school.    The children are behaving but are confused because the music teacher changed the songs and dances several times and has not organized anything for transitioning the kids onto and off of the stage so that part looked terrible too.   (NOt to mention the fact the kids see the disorganization and get worried and think its funny and get thrown off.)  oh my goodness.  (and the principal is out - he tore his achilles tendon and will be out for the whole week.   I hear he is loopy on pain meds and totally useless this week.)   

school background info - we are a charter in an urban area - we beat the public schools test scores out of the water and have no playground - so the people who send their children to our school - are very focused on academic growth.      

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AmaliaD
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:49 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:50 PM

It's just a kids concert. It doesn't need to be professional. It's not like the singing's going to be great anyway.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I assume most kids' performances are not going to be quality lol! they're kids, it's no big deal if it's messy and unorganized... the parent's probably won't even think about the music teacher, they'll think the kids are adorable and just doing their own thing... "oh look at little Johnny, he's on the wrong song!! that's so cute!!"

it's really no big deal :)

addyangel
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM
My SD's holiday concert this year was bad. Not in the disorganized way but the "omg what was the teacher thinking when she planned this concert" way. SD is in 3rd grade and they sang the multiplication tables to 12. It was horrible. The kids had the words to the songs and half of them still couldn't sing the songs. I felt bad for them. I usually enjoy the kids' concerts.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AmaliaD
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:39 PM

ok...   i was maybe going to contact the principal but i will leave him be.    i get too up in arms over disorganization - its like nails on the chalkboard to me (like anyone has chalkboards anymore but...)  

piratehooker
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:40 PM
I've seen many travesties in my almost 19 years of parenting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
clp0930
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Honestly? I lip-synced every year, I have no right to judge

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:53 PM
My daughter goes to a charter school similar to yours, though our surrounding schools are not in an urban area. This is actually our first year at this school because we had to wait to get in.

Her holiday concert this year was a disaster and while I was disappointed, I wasn't enraged with anger at the school or anything. It was the same teacher from last year but she too was dropped down to only teaching a few days a week. They also decided to move the event to the middle school nearby because they had an actual stage with a dressing area backstage and everything. That was a huge mistake. Whoever was doing the sound had it way too quiet, probabky because he or she was unfamiliar with the controls. And since the kids had never practiced in that building, they had no idea what was going on as far as placement went.

But my daughter looked cute that night and was excited to sing her songs to us and that made it perfect. That's all that really matters in the end.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)