Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get my dog to stop growling?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
A fw months ago 2 men tried to get in my house when I was alone with the kids late at night.

I have one dog but he's not trained to protect, he would lick any intruder to death.

So the next day my dad brought me a gun to keep hidden in case if emergencies when dh is gone.

We also got another dog.

A mastiff pup.

She's 7 months old now and an amazing dog, she has an extreme amount of patience and never ever so much as barked at us or the kids.

She also does a really really good job of letting us know when someone is on the property.

Yesterday it was just me and my oldest, she was playing in her room and I was reading when the dog started growling at the door.

I got up to check and found MIL & BIL sitting there. I open the door, I wasn't expecting them, and the dog comes out with me and growl at them but kept her distance (she has never met them).

We go inside and the dog stays close to me and my daughter and keeps growling at them.

I kept trying to calm her telling her to stop, that it's fine.

I don't know if it will stop with age or what.

I'm not sure how to get her to stop growling once people are let in the house by us. She's doing a good job and is a great dog.

Any advice?

Eta::
I gave each of them a treat and once I stood next to them after lots of coaxing she came over to get the treat. She stuck to my daughter and my side the whole time.
She stopped growling but once they moved she did it again.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnHpuresugar
by Emerald Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:50 PM

You need to be the alpha leader in your home.  Have you taken her to obedience?  That is the first thing you should do.  

harehelper
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Make sure you socialize her well, take her places and let people pet her, give her treats. Have your in-laws give her treats too, when they come over. Tell them not to make eye contact with the dog, and when they walk up to her don't walk straight at her, turn their bodies slightly sideways. Soft voices and slow movements are important too.

bi-polarmommy
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:51 PM

talk to your vet or go to petsmart, they have a dog training area and they might know what to do

Come join me at Multi-Generational Special Needs Households, a place for moms dealing with 2 or more generations of special needs under one roof

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118250/

CABZS
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Obediance class for one.

Also, have them bring her treats.  She needs to know that they are safe, food is a good way to do that.

My old dog didn't like my grandma, she was mean so I can't blame her, but I didn't want her to bite anyone.  So I kept my dog on a leash & would give my grandma bacon to give to my dog.  Now my dog loves her.

SusieQue717
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I have a pit, and he does the same thing. Once the person is in the house, I have to go over to him, pet him and let him know that everything is ok. It's their job to protect. You do need to be firm with her though. Once you let them in, let her know that everything is ok, pat her on the head and tell her it's fine, if she keeps growling correct her. You need to stay consistent though. Each time she starts to growl, you stop her. 

Stephd710
by Emerald Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I always let a new person in my home give my dog treats right away.  She is overly protective of me and can seem aggressive.  She's never bitten, but she scares people.  I usually set the person on the couch, all hats and sunglasses off, hand them some treats, and then bring her in the room.  They let her smell them, without moving, and when she is comfortable, they can offer her a treat, then she is ok with them and wants to be best friends. 

areyouatroll
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM
Get between the dog and the guest, tell the dog no. Show dominance and 'own' the guests. Always look above the dog, not in the eyes. Like you are the super model queen bee.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM

This, though I disagree about letting your inlaws give treats. I think that just sets up any intruder to be able to give a treat and the dog be OK with him/her there.

I'd teach this dog to "greet" your guests on demand. Obedience training is a MUST. Especially with such a big dog.

Quoting harehelper:

Make sure you socialize her well, take her places and let people pet her, give her treats. Have your in-laws give her treats too, when they come over. Tell them not to make eye contact with the dog, and when they walk up to her don't walk straight at her, turn their bodies slightly sideways. Soft voices and slow movements are important too.

Famousglm714
by Gina on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:00 PM
I'm not sure so bump.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
harehelper
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:02 PM

In most cases, Petsmart is worse than useless as far as dog training goes. They hire any joe off the street to be their "dog trainer" and that person doesn't have to know squat about dogs or training them. They give the "trainer" something like three weeks of training to train, so to speak, and that is it.

Quoting bi-polarmommy:

talk to your vet or go to petsmart, they have a dog training area and they might know what to do

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)