Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Got a Fantastical Compliment Today!

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:19 PM
  • 38 Replies
6 moms liked this

My son's Christmas Party is today at his preschool, the teacher called me last night to let me know because she was sick the previous day.  She said they were going to do a secret santa and for me to bring "a small gift, like a coloring book or crayons.".  I thought about it a minute after I got off the phone with her....There are only 4 kids in his class...what if one of the moms gets a really great present, or another doesn't bring one at all?  The risk of unfair gifts was plagueing my thoughts.  I had visions of one child getting a box of crayons while another gets something more awesome.  I had thoughts of hurt feelings or some being left out.  Then I had thoughts of me being the only one that took the teachers direction and me providing the shittiest gift.  I tend to over think things, but I wanted everything to be even...

So I went to the store and I thought despite what came from the "secret santa's" all the kids should have a goody bag, filled with the same things.  So I bought 5 gift bags, cause I think she said 4 kids but I was worried I misheard her so I through in an extra.  I filled them with things like little dinosaurs, party favors like those blowy tube things that roll out, a little magnadoodle, playdoh, stickers things like that.  

Then I got the official secret santa gift, I decided to listen and I got a coloring book and crayons, a little nerf gun, and an action figure.  

I signed the to: from: tag with glitter glue the secret santa from my son and the gift bags all said from: Santa.  

Its a Catholic school, so I dont have to worry about Santa not being a part of any of these children's Christmas.  

Then I made a bunch of cookies and frosted them and added sprinkles and put them in a big tin.  

I decided to take this all to her class before I took my son there.  I told her that I made gift bags for all the kids, and this was the secret santa gift.  Showed her what was in them so she would know to hand them out at the start of the party (because they had party favors in them) instead of waiting at gift opening time.  

She explained they were going to play music and pass the secret santa gifts around and when the music stopped whatever gift you had was yours.  

It sounded fun. 

I added that there were cookies in the tin for everyone and if there is an extra gift bag she can just keep the contents.  I figured a preschool teacher had plenty of use for stickers and play doh.  

She was just sorta staring at me with her mouth open and she is like, "My gosh you are such a good mommy.", that compliment made me feel a little awkward I dont know why but I was like, "aww gee its really not a big deal.", "No really, you are like the best mommy, if it were me I woulda just brought a box of Cheez its or something haha.", "ya well..*shrugs* thanks.".

I didn't accept that compliment with much grace but my gosh it sure put an extra little skip in my step.  I walked all the way to my car with a big grin on my face.  

To think such a small gesture would make such a big impression....I really didn't think I was going above and beyond anything, I figured all the momma's would bring something...but I guess not.   I was actually concerned that I wasn't doing enough.  

Compliments about my mothering skills arn't generally heard by me from people that aren't really close to me.  I mean, if anything my own parents like to make snide remarks about my "skills" or lack there of.  My husband doesn't even tell me that much...I mean he has, but almost in a way that makes you think, "oh now what do you want?" lol...

It was just really nice hearing it from someone in her position.  A teacher...sometimes the most judgemental of them all...ya know?  

I have been at my desk worrying about the Christmas party, hoping everyone there has a good time and that all of the kids are happy with their gifts.  Remembering I forgot my son's back pack and I gotta pick him up early and help him out with his stuff.....Im a good mommy, not one that has everything together lol...Im so damn forgetful.  

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-spork2.0-
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Im glad it made your day mama ♥
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Thank you : )  It really really did : >  As lame as that might be for the moms that probably hear how amazing they are every day! tehehe. 

Quoting -spork2.0-:

Im glad it made your day mama ♥

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:23 PM

That was pretty cool of you to do, you deserved the compliment.

jbirdsladie27
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Awesome :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
missymackie
by Hey Brother on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:26 PM
aww that's really nice! it feels good to be appreciated every once in a while lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Well thank you : )  Sometimes having your kid in such a small class makes it easier to do a little extra.  

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

That was pretty cool of you to do, you deserved the compliment.

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:29 PM

It sure does!  : >

Quoting missymackie:

aww that's really nice! it feels good to be appreciated every once in a while lol

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Someone told me I was a good mommy is all.  : > 

Quoting Anonymous:

Love060708kids
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:32 PM

That's awesome!

My kids are in Secret Santa this year.  I got one for my sons class: A spongebob bath painting set thing and for my daughters class she had a little girl and I got her a thing of make up. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)