• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids with low age gaps

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:29 PM
  • 84 Replies

Right now, we have two sons, an almost five year old and a six week old, and I'm the guardian of my 17, 13, and 10 year old siblings. We know that we want to have at least two more kids, maybe three. Last night we were talking about it and thinking about when we would want to have another, and we thought, well why not make it sooner rather than later. My husband is possibly getting a raise and I'm off maternity leave soon, so we would be able to afford another financially, and we are working on the house.

Right now we have two small bedrooms upstairs that can fit a single bed or bunkbeds, right now my sister sleeps in one and my son and housemates boys sleep in the other, a slightly larger room downstairs, which is our room and where we have the baby's crib, and we are finishing the attic to turn it into another bedroom, which is where my brothers sleep. We are planning on building another small room off the side of the house, which we want to do in the next year, my husband is good with tools and can do most of the work himself. Our housemates are getting their own place in the next year as well. So if we had another baby in the next year, if we get all of this done in the next year there would be plenty of room for them. 

We are very happy in our marriage and emotionally able to care for the kids, I originally thought that I would want to take longer in between babies, like two or three years, but the pregnancy went so well and everything is going so smoothly, that I think I would rather have one sooner, so they can be close together. Also, since we are both in college, we want to plan it so hopefully I would have them over the summer, so I wouldn't have to deal with classes at the same time. Does anyone have kids that are very close in age? How is it? Are we crazy to plan on having kids within a year of each other?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crescentstar2
by expecto patronum on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Mine are only 20mo apart, but I would think that'd be hard on your body and emotionally

mstkn.identity
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:31 PM
My bro and I are 9 months apart (premies). Growing up I loved it. My mom did too.

Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:31 PM

You live with your SISTER, a HOUSEMATE, Their kid, your 2 KIDS, 3 MORE kids, you and dh?  And you want to bring more kids into it?  

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:32 PM

My two are only 12 months apart in age. We love it!!

beerabitch69
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:33 PM

my boys are 11 months apart. I love it.

Love060708kids
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:33 PM

My first two are 14 months apart

My second and third are 17 months apart

My third and fourth are 25 months apart.

It's surprisingly easy...at least, for me.  The house is harder to maintain with a lot of little feet, but we make it work :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM
I have 4
1 & 2 are 18mos apart
2 & 3 are 19mos apart
3 & 4 are 16mos apart

It was SUPER hard at first but it gets much easier as they get older.
LucyHarper
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM

No, I live with my husband, our our kids, my three siblings (my sister is one of those siblings), and my housemates, who are a couple with three children. They are moving within the next year and take care of their own children, so its not like I have way too many kids to care for, and we have no problem caring for our kids, so yes, we do want to bring more kids into it. Theres no practical reason I can see not to.

Quoting Anonymous:

You live with your SISTER, a HOUSEMATE, Their kid, your 2 KIDS, 3 MORE kids, you and dh?  And you want to bring more kids into it?  

Shabbydoll78
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I have four kids and I am pregnant with number 5. My first three are all three years apart. However, there is only 14 months between number three and number four. This baby will be eight years younger than my youngest...so, as you can see, I run the gamete in the spacing department. Anyways, I have found that the three year age gap is the easiest. By the time the next one comes along you are done with diapers and breast feeding. The pro's of having two really close in age is that they are the best of friends. They also fight and bicker like no tomorrow. It was really hard having two babies in a row. I felt stretched super thin both emotionally and physically. Two in diapers, two breast feeding, two that really demanded and needed a lot of attention. We all lived to tell about it, but it was a trying two or three years, that's for sure. The two girls are 7 and 8 currently and its definitely not as hard now.

LucyHarper
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:38 PM

The only thing I am really worried about is how my body will react, my pregnancy was extremely easy, but I have a low weight and high metabolism problem, I burn calories too fast, so it's hard for me to gain weight. I was able to gain enough for my last pregnancy, I'm just worried that if I have another too soon, I won't be able to gain the weight again so fast. So of course I will be speaking a lot about it with my doctor before making any decisions, to make sure its something my body could handle.

Quoting crescentstar2:

Mine are only 20mo apart, but I would think that'd be hard on your body and emotionally

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)