Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

On Friday something terrible happened and its been blamed on autism/aspergers

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM
  • 22 Replies
3 moms liked this

I told my son  who has autism about what happened. He felt very sad. He was worried about the teachers, administrators, lunch ladies, principal and everyone else at the local school. Even though he is now homeschooled, his brothers both go there, and he used to.

His idea - Make them feel good, make them know we care.

So we got a list of each and every person who works at the school. And make them each a personalized certificate with their names on it, and what we thank them for. So he told me what to write on the construction paper, I wrote it, he put stickers on each one, we had to make over 60. Each one had a PERSONALIZED message dictated by him. For the janitor, THANK YOU FOR KEEPING OUR SCHOOL CLEAN SO THE CHILDREN CAN LEARN! For an art teacher, Thank you for sharing your love of art, your creativty, and your skills. For the nurse, thank you for helping students to feel better, and for taking awesome care of them.

Then we made cupcakes, brownie bites, cookies, etc to bring over. Today is the last day of school, before the break. He hugged every teacher because he offered hugs. They all said yes. Most of them cried. It was pretty awesome.

Please know, not every autistic/aspie/etc child is like the one who murdered those babies. I love my son so much and am so proud he wanted to do that.

He is only 7. :)

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rosaleeandtwo
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Autism (or aspie) did NOT cause that shooting, I can pretty much bet money on it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:58 PM

AWWW!!! that is so sweet of him.that put a smile on my face.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM
The shooting had nothing to do with ASD.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Actually, it's being blamed on guns.... As usual..

Oh, and video games. 

I read three different papers every morning and listen to the radio on the way to work. I honestly have not heard much mention of autism at all! Just a couple of random comments. 

rosaleeandtwo
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I heard it was 'cuz Jamie Foxx said "....kill all the white people" on SNL.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh, and video games. 

I read three different papers every morning and listen to the radio on the way to work. I honestly have not heard much mention of autism at all! Just a couple of random comments. 

endoftheworld
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:00 PM

My son was invited to a birthday party. After the shooting happened his mom called and said "For the safety of all involved, he cannot come now. Sorry." Made me cry. My baby is not that monster.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh, and video games. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:02 PM

That's horrible! I would not have a single kind word to say to that mother! But I would hug my child tight and tell them that needed better friends anyway. 

Quoting endoftheworld:

My son was invited to a birthday party. After the shooting happened his mom called and said "For the safety of all involved, he cannot come now. Sorry." Made me cry. My baby is not that monster.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh, and video games. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:02 PM
Some nut on here thinks it was the government and dude didn't shoot anyone.o_O
Litlmama87
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:04 PM
The reason it was even brought up that this kid was an Aspie/autistic, is because it's always the go-to excuse.

Aspie/autism is the "in" diagnosis right now, even on Cafemom, I see it ALL THE FREAKING TIME, somebody's kid did something they shouldn't have, & instead of being disciplined, it's followed by "my kid has Aspergers/autism", or someone is on here complaining that their neighbor or family member is shopping around for a doctor to give them a spectrum diagnosis.

I'm really not surprised.

It's cool to be autistic/an Aspie when it's convenient, but when things such as Friday happen, nobody wants to be associated with it.

It's unfortunate for those who truly have Autism & Aspergers, & the parents who are actively working with their children, rather than living off them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dawnzilla
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:05 PM

That creepy kid who did the shooting had a hell of a lot more than just autism or asp going on!! You could see just by looking at him.. He was SICK sick sick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)