• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I stay or move to a womens shelter?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

This isn't really a "confession" post.  But I wanted to ask anonymously, so here goes:

After years of soul-searching, I decided to move from DE back to my home state of WA.  My four year old dd and I arrived in WA in September, and we're currently staying with my sister,  I have a section 8 voucher and have been trying to find an apartment for the both of us, but have not had good luck.  It sucks, and it makes me depressed, but there's not much I can do but try to be upbeat and positive for the sake of my child (she's very sensitive and picks up on my moods, so I have to watch it around her).

Well, living at my sister's has been ok.  Since we moved in, my brother in law's cousin came for my sister's birthday party and never left.  He's been sleeping on the couch in the livingroom.  My brother and his daughter got kicked out of his girlfriend's house and has been staying over during the week (I guess they stay with other friends on the weekends).  Now my brother in law's friend has been sleeping in the livingroom too!!!  Too many people, I tell you,  So now there's my sister, her husband, their 5 kids, me, my daughter, my brother, his daughter, bil's cousin and bil's friend sharing a three bedroom house (I shit you not).  This is NOT what I signed up for when I agreed to stay with my sis until I sound permanent housing.

I can't take it anymore.  There's not space to breathe, you know? 

My only other alternative is to move into a womens shelter until I can find my own housing, but I know my sister would be highly offended if I suggested such a thing, 

Any advice?  I'm using the computer at the library, so I can't sit here for much longer.  I am searching for housing on craigslist right now...keep your fingers crossed!! 

Thanks in advanced.  And sorry about any typos.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FL2AK
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I would rather be crowded with friends and family than crowded at a shelter. Besides, save the shelter space for a woman who truly has no other choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stickyfingers
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:12 PM
idk it really depends on the shelter...i know at most of them its dangerous, your thingss will be stolen and you child will see things you dont want them to see. also you will have to sleep with one eye open since you will be in a room with dozens of mentally unstable ppl you dont know...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:12 PM
This

Good luck!

Quoting FL2AK:

I would rather be crowded with friends and family than crowded at a shelter. Besides, save the shelter space for a woman who truly has no other choice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stickyfingers
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:13 PM
oh and you are not guaranteed a bed every night...its first come first serve...that would suck if you werent first...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happinessforyou
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Look for a job and a place to live?

sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Where are you in WA? I am in WA too and may have some resources for you yo help find a place of your own...

ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I would stay and search for a new place like crazy! Good Luck!

Kid_Cat_Mom2005
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM
Agree

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

This

Good luck!

Quoting FL2AK:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Yes, you should. They will help you get on your feet much quicker. 

Litlmama87
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:18 PM
Wtf?

How is it possible you've been there since September, have a Section 8 voucher, and have yet to move?

That makes no sense. it's not like you have to find room for you and 5 kids.

You're just wasting a voucher that can go to someone who could use it more than you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)