Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

vent - play group

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

So today I called the mom hosting the play group this week and asked if I could bring a friend.  She wanted some adult interaction.  

The mom who is usually very nice snapped and was like, no, I don't know her you aren't bringing a stranger into my home.  

Back story

At my child's birthday party I met this mom for the first time.  She even brought him a birthday gift.  I had not even invited her.  I had mentioned it to dh, but didn't made a big deal of it.  Just figured someone invited someone new to the playgroup.  

Then last time I hosted I met another new mom.  Again didn't think much of it.  

Well last play group I went to I brought a friend with me who had 2 kids in the age group of the play group.  She had also previously gone to the pumpkin patch with us.  

No one had said anything then, but when I mentioned a friend to the mom who usually does the emails and such she flipped out on me.  I am rude because I didn't ask the host first if I could invite someone new to come into their home.  Maybe next time I should ask first.  I stumbled over myself and just said that I was sorry.  

I feel like they take advantage of me.  When they invite my child to birthday parties they ask me to bring my camera, and I baked a baby shower cake for the mom I had to call today.  

I want to leave this play group, but my son has been with these kids forever, like since he was a baby, and he will be starting school with some of them next year.  The school he goes to now is very far from our district and none of the kids will be going to school with him.  

I don't know what to do at this point.  I have myself in a not so cool situation.  I thought about giving an apology card to the hostess I ticked off, but I don't know if that would make the situation better or worse.  :(

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM
Maybe she is just hypersensitive to the idea of a stranger in her home given the events recently. I would cut her some slack
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:52 PM

maybe, she is usually very nice.  I did not consider the recent events playing a role.  I just know she showed up to my son's brithday party uninvited, but it is more the overall way I am treated.  I suppose I personally really just don't fit in.  I do it for my child.  

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Maybe she is just hypersensitive to the idea of a stranger in her home given the events recently. I would cut her some slack

ripemango
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:53 PM

he'll make new friends at school and get plenty of playtime w other kids. there will be no need to be involved in the playgroup so drop out.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I had planned to stop going as soon as he starts school next fall, but I worry because he is autistic friends will be hard.  These kids know him and have accepted some of his oddities.  

Quoting ripemango:

he'll make new friends at school and get plenty of playtime w other kids. there will be no need to be involved in the playgroup so drop out.

hello_kitty25
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:00 PM

she just seems like a bitch, why can you not bring someone? they bring people without asking all the time

ripemango
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:03 PM

You could stick it out w the group and not be as involved. I mean there is no reason you have to be the 1 to always bring the camera or bake a cake, kwim?

Be ok w expressing yourself too...there is nothing wrong w sharing your opinion/preferences in a nice way.

Will he be in a class w other autistic children?

Quoting Anonymous:

I had planned to stop going as soon as he starts school next fall, but I worry because he is autistic friends will be hard.  These kids know him and have accepted some of his oddities.  

Quoting ripemango:

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Likely yes, but I am hoping to get him into a regular ed class with an aid, but it doesn't look like that will happen without a lot of pushing with the school district.  

Yeah I prob should just start not bringing my camera, and I for sure won't be baking more cakes.  

Quoting ripemango:

You could stick it out w the group and not be as involved. I mean there is no reason you have to be the 1 to always bring the camera or bake a cake, kwim?

Be ok w expressing yourself too...there is nothing wrong w sharing your opinion/preferences in a nice way.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ripemango:

ripemango
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I hope it gets easier for you :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Likely yes, but I am hoping to get him into a regular ed class with an aid, but it doesn't look like that will happen without a lot of pushing with the school district.  

Yeah I prob should just start not bringing my camera, and I for sure won't be baking more cakes.  

Quoting ripemango:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ripemango:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM

thanks

Quoting ripemango:

I hope it gets easier for you :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ripemango:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ripemango:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)