Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gun Safety for parents who own guns

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:59 PM
  • 7 Replies

http://www.homegunsafety.com/forparents.htm

Special Parent Responsibilities

Parents already know that children are curious, and as such, can discover things that parents don't realize they can discover. Most parents remember when then had to childproof their home when their little ones first began crawling around. Nothing changed when the crawlers became toddlers, or kindergartners, or elementary school ages, or middle school aged, or even high school aged. Remember, children don't think like adults.

Parents need to know that children could find a gun when a responsible adult is not home, whether in your home or someone else's home. To avoid the possibility of an accident in such a situation, children should be taught to apply the following gun safety rules:

If they see a gun:

bullet

STOP!

bullet

DON'T TOUCH.

bullet

LEAVE THE AREA.

bullet

TELL AN ADULT.

The above 4 rules are parts of a special accident prevention program known as the Eddie Eagle Gun Safety Program. It was developed by the NRA for young children (pre-kindergarten through third grade), and uses the friendly character of Eddie Eagle to teach the children to follow Eddies four rules.

There are many Police Departments and Shooting Organizations that can provide the Eddie Eagle Gun Safety Program to any group at no cost. Cub Scouts, Brownies, Day Cares, 4 H Clubs, & Elementary School Classes are all examples or groups that the program can be given for. There are materials that are given to each of the children for their use and for review by parents by Eddie Eagle ( Usually someone dresses up in a Big Eddie Eagle Costume similar to those of Elmo or Barney the Dinosaur.) Parents usually need only make the request of their local Police Department.

It's up to the parent to decide when or if their children should be exposed to firearms. There are many Sportsman Clubs or Pistol and Rifle Clubs that sponsor Junior Shooting Teams that compete on a nationwide basis. Kids as young as 9 years old participate on these teams. Even if your children don't participate in a shooting team, it might be better to have your children develop a respect for firearms than not to.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Bitterroot
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:04 PM

BUMP

LucyHarper
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

We own guns and live in a small town with a lot of hunters, so odds are our kids will see guns in their lives, our children are taught gun safety as soon as they are old enough to comprehend what we are saying to them. They know wht a gun is, how it works, and what it does. We've taken them to firing ranges and shown them what something, like a roast beef or a watermelon, looks like after being shot, and explained thats the same thing that happens to the human body when it is shot, and how it is very likely to kill you. They are taught how to safely fire a gun in a way that will not hurt anyone. They also no the number one rule is, if you see a gun, you do not touch it, you walk away and go find an adult. We also taught them if they were ever in a situation where they did need to pick up a gun or touch one, say there are young kids around and they can't leave it there to go get an adult, how to safely pick it up and move it. When my son was almost four, we were going out to play in the yard, he went out before me, I was in the kitchen getting something, and he saw in the woods behind our house a shotgun leaning against a rock. He turned around, ran right back inside, and told me. Turns out a hunter was coming back out of the woods, realized he had left something, so he put his gun down there and went back. Gun safety is taught in all of the schools here and even though there is such an abundance of firearms in our town, there has never been a single accidental shooting.

UgtaBkdnMe
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM

no no no guns don't kill people, people kill people no need for rules...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Sorry, couldn't help it.  Hoot is soooooo hot.  He is also correct.  The only safety on my protection weapon is my trigger finger.  I always have it loaded, ready to go with one in the pipe.

Bitterroot
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry, couldn't help it.  Hoot is soooooo hot.  He is also correct.  The only safety on my protection weapon is my trigger finger.  I always have it loaded, ready to go with one in the pipe.

I'm not saying guns are bad.  We have them.  But some parents don't know how to teach gun safety or "do" gun safety in their own homes, is all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Quoting Bitterroot:

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not saying guns are bad.  We have them.  But some parents don't know how to teach gun safety or "do" gun safety in their own homes, is all.

No, I get it. I agree that some people have no business owning weapons.  I just laugh everytime people talk about having their gun locked in one location, with the ammo locked up seperately at a different location.  Who are they kidding?  They might as well not own a gun.  Thanks for allowing me to post another pic of sweet, sweet Eric Bana.  YUMMY!!!!

MrsErdos2011
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:57 PM

There is for children who don't understand the damage a gun can cause.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

no no no guns don't kill people, people kill people no need for rules...

I may not be a perfect wife or mother but I am perfect in the eyes of my son and my husband and that is all that matters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)