• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I crazy?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:11 PM
  • 3 Replies

I am not an over protective mom AT ALL. I do not worry but do take every precaution that I feel necessary to protect my kids. This morning I was not scared sending my children to school. I cried watching the different news stories of the people/parents involved in the CT shooting. But I refuse to live in fear. I refuse to let my children live in fear.

With that said, I found out this morning through AN EMAIL that some high schooler, a jr I think, made a threat against the entire school. Our school is prek-high school all in one building, separated into 3 wings by 2 cafeteria's. This email said that the individual was arrested before school this morning, that every measure is being taken to make sure my children are safe and there is nothing to be alarmed over. Apparently this threat was reported on Sunday and some parents found out yesterday through other kids. Instead of calling the school they called the local news station who then did a report WITHOUT contacting our police department or school. Luckily I didn't see it last night or I might've started my freak out then. The boys' friends who made these threats were on facebook saying they would "finish the job" for him. The actual threat was the boy saying he was going to "shoot up" the school during lunch time this week.

My kids came home and was talking about it. I have one in jr high and 4 in the elementary building. All of the kids said their classroom doors are now shut and locked. This will be common practice from now on. I got letters saying that only 2 parents per classroom will be able to attend parties and you must be on that teachers list or you will not be allowed in. The kids also said there were "tons" of police everywhere today too.

So now I am a little freaked out. Luckily, my kids are not. I never imagined that being a parent meant that I would have to worry about things like this. I can not decide if I am more upset that things like what happened in CT is real or that the school didn't think it was necessary to contact the parents yesterday?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
butterflies798
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM

guess so. LOL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Well I can see where you would be slightly freaked out............

butterflies798
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Yeah the school didn't want parents to freak out until they finished their investigation but honestly I think if they would've addressed this issue openly yesterday I wouldn't have had this reaction.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well I can see where you would be slightly freaked out............

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)