Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ehat would you do if Your childs school

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
My DD is only 5yrs old and came home from school and told me EVERY detail of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.I first thought maybe she hard other students talking about it.NOPE it was her TEACHER!!I took a breath and thought maybe she was just going over a drill or something and telling them what to do if the situation ever happened.Nope!! So why tell me 5yr old what happened??She even knew the guy had 3 guns!!!.My stomach turned as she told me what happened.I do not feel as if she is able to comprehend this yet.Heck I can barely comprehend it. I am going to school tomrrow to talk to her teacher.Now here is the problem should I make her go to school tomorrow or not?Whe is now scared to go!!She said mommy I do not want to die.I BALLED my eyes out after she said this.How would you deal with this?My 5yr old is now scared to die at school from.being shot.I just need more insite on this. In advanced sorry about grammer/spelling I am just soo upset right now
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyoftwo103
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Why would she do that? I would be upset.

msparks80
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this
The teacher was wrong to go into details I would be upset. I'm sorry your daughter is scared :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:16 PM
that is what I am going to her school tomorrow to find out

Quoting mommyoftwo103:

Why would she do that? I would be upset.

mom2priceboys
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:17 PM

sorry your daughter had to hear about this tragedy at school. I do think we all had to recognize that their would be teacher led discussions and also maybe a few more emerency drill to come. Talk to her, listen to her, keep her secure but not afraid that school is going to be bad.

Kris_PBG
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM
I teach K and said not a word to my students about it.

They are 5 and 6. I see nothing they would glean from learning about the horrors that occurred.

I emailed the parents and they were relieved to hear that!!!
jillbailey26
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM
3 moms liked this

As a teacher, she should not have mentioned it to them at all.  However, as a parent you have to be able to calm fears like this.  You have to be able to run a little recon when other people tell your kids stuff because you can't control what other people say to them.

Explain to her that what happened was terrible and talk to her about your school's current safety precautions.  Describe what they do to ensure her safety.  If you don't know, walk in with her in the morning and talk to people in the school about it.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:19 PM

i would be pretty mad about it.  that teacher had no right to discuss details with small children w/o your permission.  

UgtaBkdnMe
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I would be pissed.

BabySocks0912
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:20 PM
That's disturbing.
Especially sad for your dd i hope you get answers.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
happykitty316
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:22 PM

See, this is exactly why my 6 year old does not know what happened.  I knew if she knew that she would be afraid to go to school.   Thankfully our teachers had the sense not to say anything, but if they had, I would have called the principal and school counselor asap.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)