• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yep, he is that cheap

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:51 PM
  • 10 Replies

My dad called me today and said he had a "delicate" question to ask me and then he giggled.

(back story, my mom and him were married for 28 years before she died 11 years ago, he still has ALL of her jewelry)

"Was anyone supposed to get mom's engagement ring?"

"yeah, dad, ME"

"OH, huh, glad I asked, I want to take the diamond out of it to make a new engagement ring for J (his girlfriend/about to be fiance)  But, um, uh, I thought you guys didn't like or want any of her jewelry?"

Are you kidding me dude?  Fucking kidding me.  You want to take the diamond out of the ring you bought my mother to ask her to marry you, that was supposed to go to me 11 years ago but you keep making excuses for why you don't give it up, to make a ring for another woman?  A woman I love very much I might add, who might want a ring that you bought just for her.

And even after I said it's mine, he was like "well I am glad I asked first" but kinda kept saying things about how the diamond has value and it's a nice ring, etc.  No, Dad, under no circumstances am I going to agree to letting you have her engagement ring to give to J in a different setting.

The kicker?  It's less than a quarter carat solitaire.  It's not even a rock, it's a freaking speck that he is trying to haggle me out of.

Am I out of line or is he insane?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Crashly
by Ashley on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:54 PM
Go get your ring from him. The sentimental value is so much more to you than what it would be for his soon to be fiancé. Plus I would be less than thrilled to receive a diamond that was already someone's wedding ring.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaponch
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Quoting Crashly:

Go get your ring from him. The sentimental value is so much more to you than what it would be for his soon to be fiancé. Plus I would be less than thrilled to receive a diamond that was already someone's wedding ring.

I am for sure getting it this week.  It means so much to me, and I wouldn't put it past him to say he lost it and do it anyway.

And yeah, can you imagine your husband giving you a ring from his first marriage?  I bet he wouldn't have even told her where it came from.

spooky415
by Emerald Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I can see both sides. I guess he sees it as 'his' because he purchased it.

But hey, at least he called you. I think you should have it. I would want it. My mom pawned her wedding bands after she and my dad divorced and it makes me kind of sad. I would have liked to have had them to remember the time when they were together.

I will have my grandmom's though.

mommaponch
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Quoting spooky415:

I can see both sides. I guess he sees it as 'his' because he purchased it.

But hey, at least he called you. I think you should have it. I would want it. My mom pawned her wedding bands after she and my dad divorced and it makes me kind of sad. I would have liked to have had them to remember the time when they were together.

I will have my grandmom's though.

In theory it is "his" because he purchased it.  But, my mother had four specific pieces of jewelry that she wanted given to her four children.  He bought it for her, it was hers, and she put in writing that she wanted it to be for me.  So that would only be true if she hadn't "willed" it to anyone. 

PitbullPrincess
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

If she willed it to you, it is rightfully yours.

Personally, I find it in poor taste that he would recycle his first wife's diamond ring.

mommaponch
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Quoting PitbullPrincess:

Personally, I find it in poor taste that he would recycle his first wife's diamond ring.

Yup!  Only problem being she didn't have an official "will"  but she had written out her list of things she wanted dispersed appropriately.  So it wouldn't hold up in court, but for all intents and purposes it is mine and should be mine ya know?

I also agree, children who want the ring or not, who recycles their deceased wife's engagement ring?  I could see if he didn't want me to have it because he couldn't part with it, but not for this.  Totally tacky!

cowboysgirl3227
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM

This

Quoting PitbullPrincess:

LilliesValley
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I'd tell him you definately want the ring and you might want to get any of the other jewlery you still want because it sounds like otherwise it may be "gifted" to someone else!

littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Get your stuff from him girl =( What a useless douche.

mommaponch
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Quoting LilliesValley:

I'd tell him you definately want the ring and you might want to get any of the other jewlery you still want because it sounds like otherwise it may be "gifted" to someone else!

I talked to my brother today, explained what had happened, and his response was pretty much "get anything you can and the four of us will meet up and figure it out, but get it from him before he melts it down or gives it all away."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)