• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How is this a punishment?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:02 PM
  • 43 Replies
I'm not sure if I'm venting or asking for ideas here!
My boys go to private school, very strict in behavior issues. Both my boys are new at that school this year. So my oldest son (9) had a bit of a tantrum, it seems (to my surprise, not for the first time, apparently, but they never said anything to me about it before) he was disrespectful to a teacher and even used bad language. So they called me yesterday and asked me to pick him up and told me he was suspended these 2 days before vacation.
How on earth is that a PUNISHMENT for a 9-year old? Sure, I laid my mommy guilt-trip on him, I was so disappointed, embarrased and so shocked I couldn't even look at him. So sure, yesterday he felt bad about it and was very sorry.
Fast forward to this morning.... His brother (7) has to wake up early (I woke him up as well, he's not on vacation), get ready for school, had to do homework yesterday, while his "punished" brother gets to stay at home. Sure, he's grounded with no Wii, computer or TV, but let's face it- it's a 14-hour day, I can't leave the kid staring at the wall. So he had to come with me to do my errands- which ended up being quite pleasant for him- I gave him some chores, which he finished in a little while, I even made him write "I will not be disrespectful and use bad words" for a while, but let's face it... That's as much as I can do to make his stay seem like a "punishment".
I have the added burden that my little one now sees that such behavior resulted in his brother staying at home with mommy! How can I explain it's not really a "good" thing?
So how can someone explain to ME how is this suppose to be a punishment? Do you have any creative ideas to make this a less enjoyable time?

Sharon
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crescentstar2
by expecto patronum on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:04 PM
4 moms liked this

Get a dog kennel lock him in it during school hours

wyldebtrfly
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM

If my boys are sent home I make sure the teacher also sends home work.  
Through the 'school day' they do work. They break for two quick snacks and a lunch (like at school) but they do not get 'play time' or 'recess' like they do at school. That's on top of whatever punishment they have from me for their behaviour (ie, losing the wii would be not only during school time, but also after school)

xomrs.chase
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM
Homeschool for those days :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jenniy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Lmao

Quoting crescentstar2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM
If someone figures it out...please tell me also! My girl child was suspended one time in the 5th grade, but we didn't punish her..the principle didn't want to either but had no choice. That's so far the only one I've had to deal with. A couple weeks ago my 13 year old was on the verge, and I heard him tell his sister "who cares?! That's just means I get to stay home while you have to go!"
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:07 PM
3 moms liked this
Suspension is NOT a punishment. We give students IN SCHOOL suspensions. No out of schools. In schools SUCK.;)
danie24
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Sit him in the corner all day.. except for chores, writing lines and meals.

momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM
Quoting wyldebtrfly:

If my boys are sent home I make sure the teacher also sends home work.  Through the 'school day' they do work. They break for two quick snacks and a lunch (like at school) but they do not get 'play time' or 'recess' like they do at school. That's on top of whatever punishment they have from me for their behaviour (ie, losing the wii would be not only during school time, but also after school)

That was my initial thought. Why not send him work to do at home? I mean, yesterday his unpunished brother had to do his homework and he was free because he's punished, WTH?
I understand the school probably wants to punish me as well for being such a bad, bad mommy (lol) but hey, a little help to make these 2 days an actual punishment, not something good would probably be more effective!
I'm supposed to go with him to school after vacation and I'm gonna tell them what I think of their so-called "punishment".
They did it to me once when my little one misbehaved at the bus, he was "banned" from the bus for a day! Hello? So he gets to either sleep more or gets more time in the morning and gets to be driven to school by mommy? How is that a punishment for HIM? Duh!
momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:11 PM
Quoting crescentstar2:

LOL! Should try that next time! But let's hope there's no "next time"!
crescentstar2
by expecto patronum on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I hope so too! It's weird they didn't give extra work for him. 

Quoting momto2boys973:

Quoting crescentstar2:

LOL! Should try that next time! But let's hope there's no "next time"!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)