Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Merry "Xmas"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
2 moms liked this

"Xmas" is not a secular plan to "take the Christ out of Christmas." "The usual suggestion is that 'Xmas' is ... an attempt by the ungodly to x-out Jesus and banish religion from the holiday."[However, X stands for the Greek letter Chi, the starting letter of Χριστός, or "Christ" in Greek. The use of the word "Xmas" can be traced to the year 1021 when "monks in Great Britain...used the X while transcribing classical manuscripts into Old English" in place of "Christ".The Oxford English Dictionary's "first recorded use of 'Xmas' for 'Christmas' dates back to 1551."[Paul Brians adds, "so few people know this that it is probably better not to use this popular abbreviation in religious contexts."

(was just stumbling today)

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I posted this very thing on FB the other day & got ripped to shreds for it!!

jillbailey26
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting almondpigeon:

Really?  Why?  That's crazy and a little funny.

*ETA*  It's not funny you got ripped to shreds, but it is funny that people caused such an uproar about it.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

slransde
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM
3 moms liked this
I use.xmas out of laziness.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM

apprently, christians didn't believe me or they still saw it as disrespectful or something.  it confused me & i ended up deleting my entire post.  very strange.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting almondpigeon:

*ETA*  It's not funny you got ripped to shreds, but it is funny that people caused such an uproar about it.

jmetz4
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I knew this. I thought it was pretty neat.

jillbailey26
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:31 PM

That is strange.  You can even find that same information on Christian websites.  Funny, you post something FOR Christianity and they get all huffy about it, lol.

Quoting almondpigeon:

apprently, christians didn't believe me or they still saw it as disrespectful or something.  it confused me & i ended up deleting my entire post.  very strange.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting almondpigeon:

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Of course, it could have been my sarcastic tone in which I posted it.....It started out with, "chill out, people, there is no conspiracy to take the christ out of christmas".  who knows?  i'm a christian, btw & xmas has never offended me at all.

Quoting jillbailey26:

That is strange.  You can even find that same information on Christian websites.  Funny, you post something FOR Christianity and they get all huffy about it, lol.

Quoting almondpigeon:

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting almondpigeon:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I posted anon because I thought I would be ripped for sure :)

Quoting almondpigeon:

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:36 PM
It is the same people who get their panties in a wad when you point out that Jesus is not the "reason for the season" because celebrating in december was stolen from the pagans
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:39 PM

truth. And I was raised catholic

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

It is the same people who get their panties in a wad when you point out that Jesus is not the "reason for the season" because celebrating in december was stolen from the pagans

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)