Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

gun "control" isnt the answer

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:36 PM
  • 37 Replies
We all know that the "controls" aren't working.

Why not institute a gun "insurance" instead?
It would be tied to the registration and have a yearly fee--to be deposited into a victims fund. The fee schedule would be dependent upon the type of weapon being registered.

No fee paid = no legal registration

Everyone gets to "keep their guns" however it may become cost prohibitive for owners to do so depending upon the type and number of weapons one chooses to own.

Mrs. Lanza may not have had the number or type of weapons she did if it had been cost prohibitive for her to have them.

Just a thought
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ssdbpt2
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM
Bump.....no other thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ssdbpt2
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Wow. I honestly thought you ladies would have more to say and at least an opinion or two.....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meowsters
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, forget gun "control" and move on to outlawing gun ownership already.  C'mon, gun bans seem to work great in many other countries...so why wouldn't it work here if we really made a go of it? Also, The second amendment is outdated and I'm sure that our founding fathers would agree that guns no longer play an necessary role for the typical US citizens today. 

ssdbpt2
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:50 PM
Thank you. At least you offered an opinion

Quoting Meowsters:

Well, forget gun "control" and move on to outlawing gun ownership already.  C'mon, gun bans seem to work great in many other countries...so why wouldn't it work here if we really made a go of it? Also, The second amendment is outdated and I'm sure that our founding fathers would agree that guns no longer play an necessary role for the typical US citizens today. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kris0921
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:54 PM
Its all about OWNER RESPONSIBILITY keep them locked up and dont let anyone that shouldnt have em get to them. Its not right to put a charge on guns for the people that have done nothing wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ssdbpt2
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM
True enough. But you are charged every year/month for car insurance just "in case" of an accident. ......and everyone pays whether they are responsible drivers or not. Why should guns be different/spared such a charge?

Quoting kris0921:

Its all about OWNER RESPONSIBILITY keep them locked up and dont let anyone that shouldnt have em get to them. Its not right to put a charge on guns for the people that have done nothing wrong.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kris0921
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this
People use them to hunt for their food everyday. You want them to have to travel 50 plus miles to go to a restaurant or store to eat? People still live off the land so that wouldnt work. Also in those countries rape went WAY up since outlawing them all together. I have my gun for my protection and nothing else. But I know too many people that live off the land.

Quoting ssdbpt2:

Thank you. At least you offered an opinion

Quoting Meowsters:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM
2 moms liked this

How about we get to the root of the problem eh? This country has a set of unique problems that have gone to the wayside. We have a crappy educational system, limited resources for underprivileged kids with absolutely nothing to do after school, a mental health system that is not accessible to many people, the list goes on. If people can't see the correlation between these problems and gun violence, I don't even know what to say to you (general).

The average gun owner does not kill people. The average gun owner is not mentally unstable. People need to get real and realize that restrictions will only apply to the AVERAGE gun owner, not the criminals. Shootings will always happen. Charging an average gun owner insurance for a crime they won't likely commit is asinine. I wouldn't pay into any sort of victims fund if some idiot decided they were going to break into my house and harm me or my family.

kris0921
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:07 PM
Is there a charge on knives? I know everyone at least has 1 knife, and there has been a mass murder done with a knife where someone has stabbed 20 plus kids all killed! It may off not happened in our country but it still happened! Who knows if having a gun insurance would help any? Also there are people that dont have car insurance even though its mandatory.

Quoting ssdbpt2:

True enough. But you are charged every year/month for car insurance just "in case" of an accident. ......and everyone pays whether they are responsible drivers or not. Why should guns be different/spared such a charge?

Quoting kris0921:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizard_Lina
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Round of applause

Quoting Anonymous:

How about we get to the root of the problem eh? This country has a set of unique problems that have gone to the wayside. We have a crappy educational system, limited resources for underprivileged kids with absolutely nothing to do after school, a mental health system that is not accessible to many people, the list goes on. If people can't see the correlation between these problems and gun violence, I don't even know what to say to you (general).

The average gun owner does not kill people. The average gun owner is not mentally unstable. People need to get real and realize that restrictions will only apply to the AVERAGE gun owner, not the criminals. Shootings will always happen. Charging an average gun owner insurance for a crime they won't likely commit is asinine. I wouldn't pay into any sort of victims fund if some idiot decided they were going to break into my house and harm me or my family.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)