Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My homeschooling friend upset me.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies

My best friend homeschools. She had her daughter at 18 and after that became extremely relgious. I have alway supported her and admire her christian qualities. I also had my first at 19 so I felt like we bonded. I send my kids to a catholic school. Anyway she said she wasn't going to tell her daughter about the shooting. Her daughter just turned 7. Then she said well I had to tell her about the shooting today. She said because she started saying recently that she wants to go to public school. So my best friend told her about the shooting and then said this why u can't go to public school. Wow the shooting is very sad but the chances of it happening is very slim. I don't understand why my friend would say that to her daughter. It really upsets me but I didn't know how to respond so I just said I had to go. We were on fb messenger. I don't know...I want to say something about it but maybe Im in the wrong for feeling like this.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittany208
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:05 PM

She's definitely not correct in her information. A shooting could happen just as easily at a private school as a public one.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Eh, I don't agree with your friend for saying that, but many people feel that way. I don't think you really have a right to say anything, though. It's not your kid and she isn't really damaging her child. She may truly feel that is a valid reason not to use public school.

ashellbell
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Meh, it's becoming a legitimate fear. I get it. I was scared to send my child to school the next day but I did. Some are more extreme in those fears, nothing to get upset about.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Or a movie theater. Or mall, or on the street. Anywhere.

Quoting brittany208:

She's definitely not correct in her information. A shooting could happen just as easily at a private school as a public one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM

i love my friend but seriously that is just not okay. Is she going to tell her daughter she can't go to college bc of Virgina Tech ...I mean really it upsets me thats the reasoning she gave her. I was really shocked.

Quoting brittany208:

bellaamore
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Your friend is likely scared and doesnt know better.

invisibleme
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:08 PM
It's what she believes and what she wants to tell her dd I say leave it alone. She did not say this to your child.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:09 PM
There was also a really big story about a home invasion in Chesire, CT a while back. Is she going to keep them away from their home too?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:11 PM
Well that is a lot of information for an7 year old to process.

Not cool of your friend, but not really that big of an issue? Just a poor, misinformed opinion
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM

i guess. the only thing being our kids play together alot and i know the whole homeschooling thing comes up. Im worried her daughter might say something to my kids about them having to worry about geting shot bc they aren't homeschooled.  Anyway if that does happen I will definetly be saying something.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well that is a lot of information for an7 year old to process.

Not cool of your friend, but not really that big of an issue? Just a poor, misinformed opinion

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)