Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child support question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
Does anyone know about how arrears play out?
I have a child who turns 19 next month but 2 still under age. He keeps trying to tell me the order goes down, but I have been told no because the arrears are 56,000 so the amount should stay the same?
I need some answers
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Borne_Wonky
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:11 PM

The ordered amount will go down, but he may be ordered to pay XX in back support, so it may stay the same or go up, depending on the system.

Saille717
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:11 PM

The answers vary from state to state, and also depend on what the judge orders.  You need to speak to your lawyer or legal counsel.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Ok that's basically what I was told by the 2 states but he was told different. There is a order in place for back payment but he hasn't touched that.

Quoting Borne_Wonky:

The ordered amount will go down, but he may be ordered to pay XX in back support, so it may stay the same or go up, depending on the system.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM
I spoke to child support. I am thinking I need to pursue this further and obtain a lawyer. Since we're in different states I am not sure how effective that will be.

Quoting Saille717:

The answers vary from state to state, and also depend on what the judge orders.  You need to speak to your lawyer or legal counsel.

Saille717
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:17 PM

The system state to state may be a bit slow, but it works.  Just go through your channels and do what needs doing and try to be patient.  My ex is in Ontario, Canada and I know from research that I could go after him even across the border.  

Quoting Anonymous:

I spoke to child support. I am thinking I need to pursue this further and obtain a lawyer. Since we're in different states I am not sure how effective that will be.

Quoting Saille717:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:19 PM
I'm 25 and my mom is still getting arrears... 48k
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:21 PM
Mine is such an asshole! I swear! Anyway I don't know who is talking to and don't care! But upon my conversations they said they are not charging interest on the back support just interest on the monthly obligation if its not met. But they will not lower the amount due to the outstanding balance. He had asked me to forgive the amount and my response was if you did anything extra for you children besides what you are forced to do maybe I would of. Lol

Quoting Saille717:

The system state to state may be a bit slow, but it works.  Just go through your channels and do what needs doing and try to be patient.  My ex is in Ontario, Canada and I know from research that I could go after him even across the border.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Saille717:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:23 PM
See I hear that from alot of people. They suggested I do a modification to raise the amount ordered. My ex is telling me he can pay 50 a month and that's all he needs to pay but the order is 200.00 for back pay! He is an ass!

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:27 PM
If he's only paying 50/mo, he is goin to get very behind

Quoting Anonymous:

See I hear that from alot of people. They suggested I do a modification to raise the amount ordered. My ex is telling me he can pay 50 a month and that's all he needs to pay but the order is 200.00 for back pay! He is an ass!

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:27 PM
As pp's have said, it varies state by state, case by case. It depends on if the court is handling it or if its the department of revenue (the state). In florida, going through the state will probably get you more, and it will be enforced, but it takes forever.

Its been 3 yrs and the state just stated to enforce my order (which was through the court but my ex was ordered to pay through the state to me). His license was suspended and he's fighting it in court. I'm waiting for his hearing. Dept of revenue told him he must pay 1 full year of back support ($5300) to keep his dl. He refused to pay. Now he's going through the court. I've been flat out old a judge will not order him to a year. More than likely they will tell him 2 months ($816) to get his license back.

Your best bet is to speak with an attorney and find out which way is going to be in your best interest to pursue this. For me, financially its letting the state. I don't have the money to be going to the court every month filing paperwork because my ex didn't pay.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)