• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just received a call from DS's School: Threat of Gun Violence on Friday

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies
I generally try not to be a paranoid mom, but DS's school just called and I'm keeping him home on Friday. Apparently there is a threat that someone is bringing a gun into one of the secondary schools in our town on Friday...

The police have been investigating and are unable to find the source of the threat. Of course security will be heightened in the secondary schools, and my DS is in elementary school. It's all just a little too scary for me. Even the news is reporting on it. I'm sure it's nothing, but even with a child in elementary school, I'm not taking chances.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jb0520
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Hell no, my kids wouldn't be going to school the rest of the week!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I'd do the same if I were you. I don't tend to be paranoid either, but since Fri is the last day before break anyway, I'd just as soon keep him home.

LilliesValley
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:00 PM

You have to do what you think is best. Personally I've been really impressed with the changes my daughter's school has made from Monday to Friday. My daughter is not going to school either but that's because we're leaving to go see family before Christmas! Lots of screwy crap is going to happen probably on Friday with so many people thinking the world's going to end and all.

RLT2
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

That's so terrible : (. These poor kids and the world they have to live in!

butterflies798
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I would keep her home too. My kids' school just arrested a sophmore boy for making a threat. I am proud of our school and the changes they have made to protect my children.

butterflies798
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM
3 moms liked this

I was just telling my dad how I never thought this would be what my worries as a parent would be.

Quoting RLT2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM
I would not send my kid the rest of the week. All I would be thinking, (thanks to cops shows!) why would they call in advance? Are they trying to distract the cops and such by saying its at one place then Going somewhere else? Or are they wanting to catch them off guard and will really do something tomorrow? My head would be spinning.....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:09 PM
I'm finding it hard not to do the same, but I'm trying to control my panic. I'm worried that all the extra police and security will be in the secondary schools, and something will happen in the elementary schools instead. It's so scary

Quoting Anonymous:

I would not send my kid the rest of the week. All I would be thinking, (thanks to cops shows!) why would they call in advance? Are they trying to distract the cops and such by saying its at one place then Going somewhere else? Or are they wanting to catch them off guard and will really do something tomorrow? My head would be spinning.....
So_Devious20
by Misha Lovegood<3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:11 PM

It's crazy we can't even send our kids to school to learn without a little bit of fear.

Quoting butterflies798:

I was just telling my dad how I never thought this would be what my worries as a parent would be.

Quoting RLT2:

jessi2girls
by Emerald Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:12 PM

just scary!!! i would do the same op

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)