• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Little parasitic brats *vent* You totally had this friend growing up, right?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 51 Replies

No point here, just a vent. I can't vent any more to DH about the little crap and I'm bting my tongue when it comes to DD, but I gotta vent somewhere.

My oldest DD is 8 and is learning about bad friends the hard way. I've always been committed to not choosing my children's friends, unless they're potentially violent or criminal. Even if I think they're nasty little brats. DD has had a friend for about a year now who is nothing but a USER. I've gently told DD this but she wasn't seeing it.

Now she's starting to see that her friend always dictates what games they play, comes over to play with our games and ride our family pony, or to come with us when we go do fun things, rather than for DD herself. If DD calls her out on anything, she turns on the crocodile tears and gives DD a sob story about how her parents are mean and don't let her have games, or how she's too poor to have a horse or riding lessons, or how she doesn't get to go anywhere like we do. Yeah right. I know her parents and she doesn't have games because she's a brat, she doens't have a pet (let alone a horse) because she's a brat and because it'd die if she were even partially responsible for its welfare, and she doesn't go anywhere... wait for iiiiiittt... BECAUSE SHE'S A BRAT. She's like Verruca Salt without the accent.

I've nearly severed my tongue a dozen times to keep from sending her off, but DD will never learn if I hover over her and sweep difficult things out of her way. Learning to choose friends wisely is hard and I have to let it be hard for her. 

I can only hope that she gets it sooner rather than later, now that she's starting to see this little reptilian for what she is :( I know I had friends like this growing up and learning was hard, but I'm a better judge of people now because of it. But it doesn't ever get easier to see your baby hurting.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessi2girls
by Emerald Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:15 PM
4 moms liked this

why do I have the feeling YOU are being the bigger brat here?

SadeAyosmom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM

yeah i think we all even adults encounter ppl like this!

LovingSAHMommy
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I don't know. I wouldn't allow her at my house if she treated my kids like that. I understand letting kids pick their own friends, but at a point, you have to step in. My aunt let my cousins pick their own friends and ended up in a world of trouble as they got older for it.

Litlmama87
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:18 PM
6 moms liked this
Wait.

You have a PONY?

Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_me
by Emerald Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:20 PM
Poor kids :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Elaborate. How am I a brat?

Quoting jessi2girls:

why do I have the feeling YOU are being the bigger brat here?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Like I said, if there's even a hint of violence or criminal behavior, that's the end. But just being a bad friend is not grounds for becoming a helicopter parent.

Quoting LovingSAHMommy:

I don't know. I wouldn't allow her at my house if she treated my kids like that. I understand letting kids pick their own friends, but at a point, you have to step in. My aunt let my cousins pick their own friends and ended up in a world of trouble as they got older for it.

LovingSAHMommy
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Stepping in after watching your child be mistreated repeatedly isn't being a helicopter parent.

Quoting Anonymous:

Like I said, if there's even a hint of violence or criminal behavior, that's the end. But just being a bad friend is not grounds for becoming a helicopter parent.

Quoting LovingSAHMommy:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Most people around us do, we live in horse country. It's as common as having a dog in the backyard is in suburbia.

Quoting Litlmama87:

Wait.

You have a PONY?

Lol

LilliesValley
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, my daughter wouldn't be around this kid any more. Just because there are plenty of people like that in the world, doesn't mean that you need to invite them over. Seeing them at school or whatever is one thing, but no I'd cut the home visits and let your daughter spend time with someone like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)