Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Retail stores that take checks *eta*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies

What retail stores take checks? I know Walmart does, but theirs is instant, like a debit transaction. Where else does it instantly? What retailers take checks but don't use this method?

I still have lots of Christmas shopping to do but due to the days and way money/bills fall, I'm hoping to find somewhere that accepts checks without auto-drafting the funds. The money will go in on Monday but won't post until Wednesday at best. I can write checks at the grocery store without worrying about it coming out for 3 days.

Someone help! Major retailers, small ones. Any!

ETA: A lot of people have mentioned the legality of check floating and the checks being declined. Our overdraft protection doesn't decline checks unless our account is $500 or more negative... which I do not intend to go anywhere near. I'd also like to add that this is for Christmas gifts for the kids.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:21 PM
Kmart!
Ms.Pink.
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM
Most places here don't anymore bc of people doing just that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM

IDK Bump

tddncw2010
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM
2 moms liked this
Why don't you just wait till you have the money? You realize you can go to jail for purposely writing a bad check right?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Um. I'm pretty certain most places automatically take it out now. Because of people like yourself.

Even the grocery store I shop at does.

CafeMom Tickers
JenieceMojica
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM

BUMP!

periwinkle163
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Writing the checks without funds to cover it, is check fraud I'm pretty sure, just wait the few days.

ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM

sorry even our grocery store a small grocery store in a small town does it the new way

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know the answer to your question, but as a banker I feel like I should tell you that floating checks is unreliable and a bad and often costly mistake.
Lizardannie1966
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I'm not sure anyone will do that anymore, OP and for the simple fact that while you have the best intentions of having that money in the bank, it can still show up as declined for lack of funds.

And then you'll have possible bank fees.

I wouldn't take the risk, honestly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)