Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are your children allowed to touch the Christmas tree?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 51 Replies
1 mom liked this

I keep seeing pictures on Facebook with baby gates around the tree or other barriers up.  Or people saying they have to keep getting onto their toddlers for messing with the tree and I was curious how many people make their trees off limits.  I have three children, 10, 7, and 13 months and I have never blocked off the tree.  It's pretty, and colorful and there's lots of neat stuff hanging on it, of course they're curious and want to touch.  We put the really special and breakable ornaments higher up so the baby doesn't get hurt.  It seems kind of mean to put this big thing up with all these pretty things on it and say you can't touch it.  

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jbirdsladie27
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM
Yes, breakables always went up high....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Unoriginal.
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM
I just bought the cheapy plastic ornaments until she was old enough that I didn't worry about her pulling my heirlooms off
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kids4tara
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM

My kids can touch it but I am always afraid my toddler will pull it over on herself. It is in a good, sturdy stand, I'm just paranoid. They can touch it, I just watch her very carefully.

Crashly
by Ashley on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM
Yeah she can touch it. There are no breakable ornaments, she's 4.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzymom80
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM
When they were little, we would tell them not to touch it but mostly because we were afraid they would pull it down on top of them. But now that they are older, we don't mind. DD is constantly rearranging the ornaments she can reach. DS is pretty indifferent to it but he is entering the sullen pre teen years.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM
We don't do gates and stuff. My kids understand NO.
Master_Debater
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:56 PM
Yes, even their gifts are under there but they know not to touch those.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:56 PM

My children don't mess with the tree, if they were pulling on it then I might be concerned they'd pull it over on themselves. Other than that, I find that to be ridiculous. 

curlycupcake
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't have any breakable ornaments. The tree is totally kid friendly & decorated by the kids. yes, it's a hot mess of tacky ornaments but the kids love it and for us Christmas is about the kids. Dh & I both pretty much hated Christmas till we had kids. Now it's fun and exciting and all about them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Yep she decorated it...and continues to redecorate it. She's 6.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)