Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Garage sale gifts from my in-laws...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

So my in-laws have always had some sort of problem with me from day one, I've learned to let it go thinking that they would get over it because it's not like I'm going anywhere.. So my MIL comes over today and starts talking about her Christmas shopping for the grandchildren. She then tells me that she bought my children gifts from a garage sale and bought my SIL's children nicer gifts. I'm not kidding, she literally said that. I just kind of nodded and got quiet. I wasn't sure what to say. I don't have a problem with her not liking me, but how is it fair to take it out on the children?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerose26
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like a rude snobby biotche.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sadiebug1228
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM
Wow I think I would've told her nvm then and don't accept any gifts. My mil is wacked out on drugs and alcohol and we don't allow her around our children and don't accept anything from her cause she'll hold it against us. So I'm glad I don't have to deal with that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM
My mil always buys yard sale knick knacks, then comes to my house and looks for them...arg!
Barb10
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Id start getting them used stuff too and telling them thats what you plan on doing!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM

sounds like my MIL. She was pissed at us last year so she didn't buy or kids anything then posts 200+ photos on FB showing her other grandchild opening the $1,000+ worth of stuff she bought her, and tagged my husband in every photo so that we would see it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM

My grandma used to do that with me and my brothers and get the other grand kids nicer things because my mom was addopted after being her foster child for soo long , we aren't her "real" grand kids . Needless to say I don't spend Christmas with her anymore but she does somehow make her way into my kids birthday parties 

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM

have you talked to your husband about it?  

stykir
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:08 PM

your kids wont notice the difference if you don't make a big deal over it. they'll be happy to get anything i'm sure but if not, you can teach them how to graciously accept a gift that might not be their favorite. 

Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:09 PM

my mil used to do that too...I just sell the crap online for a few bucks-save it up and spend it on something worthwhile

sheymann
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I would have DH tell her if they mean so little to her, she doesn't have to see them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)