Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To the person that said Jewish people will never expect a Christ to come :

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

Christ is the Jewish word for Messiah, 

They're not waiting for Jesus Christ, but the are waiting for a Christ.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauren.m
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Someone said that?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Quoting lauren.m:

Someone said that?

Yes, she said that under no circumstances would a Jewish person ever expect a Christ to come

FoxFire363
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:18 PM

No, Christ is from the Greek word Christos, which would be the Greek word for Savior or Messiah. And yes, the Jews are waiting for a Messiah, but as Christ is the title assigned to Jesus of Nazareth, and they do not believe he was the Messiah, then no, they are not waiting for Christ.

FoxFire363
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Christ (/krst/) (ancient GreekΧριστόςChristós, meaning 'anointed') is a translation of the Hebrew מָשִׁיחַ (Māšîaḥ), the Messiah, and is used as a title for Jesus in the New Testament.[3]

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Quoting FoxFire363:

No, Christ is from the Greek word Christos, which would be the Greek word for Savior or Messiah. And yes, the Jews are waiting for a Messiah, but as Christ is the title assigned to Jesus of Nazareth, and they do not believe he was the Messiah, then no, they are not waiting for Christ. 

Christ (/krst/) (ancient Greek: ΧριστόςChristós, meaning 'anointed') is a translation of the Hebrew מָשִׁיחַ (Māšîaḥ), the Messiah

FoxFire363
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Yes, the word in HEBREW is Masiah (Messiah) the word in GREEK is Christos. Which would be what I posted in my second reply. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting FoxFire363:

Christ (/krst/) (ancient Greek: ΧριστόςChristós, meaning 'anointed') is a translation of the Hebrew מָשִׁיחַ (Māšîaḥ), the Messiah

michiganmom5150
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:24 PM
They don't believe Jesus was the messiah. They think he has yet to come is my understanding...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:28 PM

The word Christ is a translation of the word מָשִׁיחַ , meaning Messiah

So, christ means messiah.

Quoting FoxFire363:

Yes, the word in HEBREW is Masiah (Messiah) the word in GREEK is Christos. Which would be what I posted in my second reply. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting FoxFire363:

FoxFire363
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM

That is what I said, duh. I said it is the Greek word for Messiah. Not the Hebrew word. The Greek word was eventually assigned as a title to Jesus specifically. So the Jews are waiting for a Messiah in a general sense, but not Christ literally, because Christ no longer means ANY Messiah, it means Jesus specifically. 

Quoting Anonymous:

The word Christ is a translation of the word מָשִׁיחַ , meaning Messiah

So, christ means messiah.

Quoting FoxFire363:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting FoxFire363:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:44 PM
We all waiting for the Messiah to came, especially now. In my understanding we all waiting to the same " man", but we call him by different name.

I am Jewish.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)