• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh, so you're poor?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 87 Replies
A friend is driving me batshit crazy with her constant boohooing about being poor. She's been a teacher for 5 years and makes over 40k a year. She has a boyfriend who works. She told me they bring in just under 70k a year., yes before taxes. She has no kids, no student loans etc. We live in the same neighborhood. That amount of money is more than enough to thrive in our area. I do well by myself with two kids, no assistance , and much less money. Sorry just a vent. I hate when people who have no idea what its like to actually struggle complain about being "poor". I'm not saying its a pissing contests of who struggles more, but she needs to gain some perspective. Blah, oh well .
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:20 PM

That's would drive me crazy too , she doesn't know what poor is obviously lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I know what you mean. I think some people say it just to say it. That or they really don't understand what being "poor" means. It certainly doesn't mean you're poor just because you can't go to Starbucks twice a day, every day. 

crescentstar2
by expecto patronum on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

cowboysgirl3227
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:22 PM

My husband and I know someone like that.  It makes us crazy.  We have been dirt poor before and this person has absolutely no clue what it is like to actually struggle yet always complain that their life is so hard...ugh!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Lol it changed my original title. That was a bit redundant. Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

acrogodess
by Emerald Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:23 PM
7 moms liked this

I'd just tell her that as a friend who loves her , I'd appreciate it if she stfu about finances. good

SunshneDaydream
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I would kill for 70K/year...that's what my husband will make on his own whe he graduates from grad school and I can't fucking WAIT.  I will consider myself RICH then!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:26 PM
2 moms liked this
She's always questioning me. I never tell her anything bc its not her business. You'd think shed have picked up on that by now. Lol....

Quoting acrogodess:

I'd just tell her that as a friend who loves her , I'd appreciate it if she stfu about finances. good

mrscass0416
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this
She may be living above her means. To some people that means poor because they don't have any extra after what they want to do. But in actuality, they are living above their means. Buying crap they can't afford and etc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)