Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another repercussion of not vaxing

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

I wasn't vaxed. My dad simply didn't have it done. 

I work in a hospital. And have, for quite awhile. 

For whatever reason, they audited our employee files. Mine came back, saying that I hadn't been vaxed and, therefore, could no longer work with the newborns until I was. 

I went and did it. All of the, (by the way, hep b is a series over several months). Not only did it hurt, but I got sick a couple of times. The nurse who did my vax each time said that it was always a possibility because I am an adult. Kids naturally have strong little immune systems that fight it off. 

So, I almost lost my job and had to receive multiple vaxes, which led to me being sick multiple times... All BC my dad didn't want to vax me as a child. 

And no, I couldn't sign a waiver. There is no medical reason for me denying the vaxes. It was either do it, or find a new job. 

ETA: I didn't know that I wasn't vaxed when I took the job. They didn't ask me either. When I asked them about that, they said that it is so uncommon for someone my age not to be vaxed that they didn't even think about it. When I began searching for my shot records is when/how I found out that I wasn't vaxed as a child. 

ETA again:

I work IN a hospital, not FOR a hospital. I am part of an outside contract company who goes into our local hospital networks. Hospitals are made up of more than nurses and doctors, ya know lol. MY employer didn't notice my missing shot record until a few months ago. 

I took multiple lab courses in college. Turns out, you're supposed to have MMR and TB for a couple of those! Some how, I got missed. I went back and looked. I even paid my university $10 for those records that essentially say "no records on file."

Nothing in my high school records either. My HS said that that was odd BC they actually required them. But they didn't have a single one for me. 

I fell threw the cracks. I don't know how, but I did. And I had to pay for it (not literally, my company actually footed the bills).

As for the nurse saying that it's worse on adults than children, maybe she just told me that BC I was being a big baby about having to do my chicken pix vax. That sucker hurt! She said that it is harder on adults than children. Sorry. I must've misunderstood. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
GhettoKoolAide
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:44 PM
I call bullshit. They check those before they ever hirer you.

Edited for spelling.

Eta: where do you work so I can avoid it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Quoting GhettoKoolAide:

I call bullshit. They check those before they ever hirer you.

Edited for spelling.

Nope. I thought so too. We went through my hire packet. It never came across to me. HR said that most people my age are vaxed and that she simply didn't even think to ask. 

Rhiannon92
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Not wanting to risk potentially serious/moderate side effects is a legitamite medical reason to refuse vaccines. 

I PERSONALLY wouldn't take a job that was forcing me to put something in my body I didn't want there. You can do what you like with your body :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM
This is bs. Also children's immune systems are not stronger than adults ask any doctor or simply google it.
Oostera
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Babies have a weaker immune system than adults. Can you imagine feeling the way you felt as an infant when you can't tell anyone how you are feeling? You had a choice and chose to go through with it. That doesn't mean that all parents should vax because of your experience.

BTW, my kids are mostly up to date on theirs, I just believe in choices. We selectively vax.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

This is bs. Also children's immune systems are not stronger than adults ask any doctor or simply google it.

Well, that's what the nurse told me. Maybe she was trying to make me feel better. Idk... 

I assure you that this is real. I have the bruise on my arm from my last one to prove it lol! 

crescentstar2
by expecto patronum on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Kids get sick after shots too

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Quoting crescentstar2:

Oh I know. Mine all ran little fevers after theirs. 

crescentstar2
by expecto patronum on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Ds1 got a full body rash and a fever of 105.2 :-( he was 11mo

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting crescentstar2:

Oh I know. Mine all ran little fevers after theirs. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)