Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I stole a pair of shoes today.

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:50 PM
  • 43 Replies

Ugh. Sure did. And now I'm not sure what to do.

I was in Walmart getting a few things, including two bags of cat food and one bag of dog food. I also needed a pair of shoes for my DH to wear on a job interview he has the day after Christmas. I picked up the nicest looking pair I could find. We're in a very small town, so there really wasn't much to choose from as far as stores go.

I put them on the bottom of the cart with the dog and cat food bags because my two year old DD kept taking them out of the box and messing with them.

TMI warning here! As I was finishing up my shopping I felt a huge gush. You know the gush. It's that time of the month and you're sure your jeans are now ruined. It was awful. I was so embarrassed and I was sure it was all over me and showing through my jeans. :(

I rushed up to the registers to check out. I wanted to be able to take the cart in the family bathroom with me and couldn't do that until I checked out. I also had both my toddlers with me, so it wasn't even a possibility to leave the cart and drag both of them into the bathroom with me. My one year old doesn't know not to touch every inch of the bathroom.

After working things out in the bathroom (no ruined jeans btw, but so close), I put everything in my car. I looked over at the shoes in the passenger seat on the way home and wondered why they weren't in a bag. Uh oh. I didn't remember putting them on the belt. I checked my receipt, and sure enough, they didn't get paid for. Nice.

By this time I'm almost home (we live way out in the country, so it's pretty far) and both my girls are fast asleep in their car seats.

Great. So now I'm not sure what to do. I just came home. I wasn't even planning to go back into town until after Christmas because it's insanely busy.

I've never done this before so I have no clue what I'm supposed to do. The only thing I can think of is take the shoes and my receipt back in after Christmas and tell them I noticed they weren't on there. That should be fun especially considering how busy they'll be even after Christmas. Everyone comes to return all the gifts they hate!

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
touchingstars
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this
It was an accident, just call and explain what happened maybe they can charge you over the phone
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jess0915
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:59 PM

That would be great if they could. Doesn't hurt to ask I guess. If they can't, then I guess they'll have to wait. I am getting my house ready for visiting family and I can't take another trip into town. When I go to town it usually takes up my whole day. :\

Quoting touchingstars:

It was an accident, just call and explain what happened maybe they can charge you over the phone

JasonsMom2007
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this
call them. I've done that before and I live an hour away.
Jess0915
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Whew! I'm glad I'm not the only one, lol.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

call them. I've done that before and I live an hour away.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM
4 moms liked this

I wouldn't take them back. They'll probably have you arrested for shoplifting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Just call them and explain what happened. Tell them you can't make it back up that way for a while. I'm sure they will work something out (or if you're lucky just tell you to forget about it lol).
ratchetlee
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Call them and let them know..... more than likely, they will thank you for your honesty and tell you not to worry about it.....that's what usually happens to me when I do it (yes, it's happened more than once)

touchingstars
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:02 AM
I'm pretty sure they will do it

Quoting Jess0915:

That would be great if they could. Doesn't hurt to ask I guess. If they can't, then I guess they'll have to wait. I am getting my house ready for visiting family and I can't take another trip into town. When I go to town it usually takes up my whole day. :\

Quoting touchingstars:

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Just call them and tell them. unless it is super expensive 9 times out of 10 they will just tell you not to do it again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Just take them back after Christmas or maybe go back and pay in person after Christmas.  It is what it is.  You didn't do it on purpose.  And if none of that works out, buy a pair of shoes that cost the same, donate them to a shelter or charity and call it even.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)