Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy & Employment

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM
  • 23 Replies

I have an interview with AT&T after the new year. Obviously I wouldn't tell them at the interview that I'm pregnant, becuase it's still early enough in my pregnancy that you can't tell unless I'm wearing a tight shirt or something. But once employed, how do you handle that? Do you tell your boss you're pregnant? Or do you just kind of let them figure it out on their own? 

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EyansMom143
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump to help. I was wondering the same thing . .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chan_Brawner88
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:56 PM
If you are hired try to get past the probation period and try to be the model employee. Its gonna be tough.... But after that talk to your supervisor about maternity leave
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissMissfit
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Not telling them, is not a good plan.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:58 PM

I told mine in my interview.... I don't think you HAVE to tell them though.  After you're hired, I'd work in that you'll need time off for prenatal appointments.  Don't tell them before they hire you - you could not get hired over it and it's easy to blame it on something else.  

Elle.tea.22
by Emerald Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Let them figure it out.
me-n-mygirls
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:59 PM
after working for a while I would say something.
or when going over paperwork ask maternity questions.
next time you have an appointment say "I need X day off to go to my Dr./OB" then they ask questions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this

You don't have to disclose a pregnancy. The law protects you. 

azpreemiemom
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM

It's really none of their business. I had a friend that interviewed she she was pregnant and showed up to work the first day obviously pregnant. Just know that you are not covered by FMLA because you would not have been there for a year.

kels1023
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Especially a place like AT&T, I think they would definitely find another reason not to hire me even though it was the pregnancy.  I made it past the first interview with them, and they pay really well, so I don't want to screw it up by telling them at the interview.  

Quoting Anonymous:

I told mine in my interview.... I don't think you HAVE to tell them though.  After you're hired, I'd work in that you'll need time off for prenatal appointments.  Don't tell them before they hire you - you could not get hired over it and it's easy to blame it on something else.  

amanda_mom89
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM
I didn't tell my boss until after I was hired. An acquaintance worked there and felt like it would no problem to work there while pregnant.

I was 3 months along, it was a good job nd I needed the money.

I told my boss on my first day and I asked if being pregnant would truly be a problem. He said no. I worked through 38 weeks.

I've been there 2 years now. I'm a juvenile detention officer. (like county jail for kids)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)