• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So I should feel ashamed because I got help with christmas and still bought my kids each 2 presents?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 75 Replies

I guess I don't understand this logic...I signed up at the beginning of December for toys for tots for my 4 children, then I got lucky and was able to purchase my kids each 2 small gifts (on clearance) and because of that I should feel ashamed of still taking the gifts from the charity....Because according to cafemom if i can manage to buy anything at all then I don't need the help...Yet it is ok for a family to sign up for help even though their kids will be getting tons of presents from other family members because those presents are not at their home where the kids will wake up Christmas morning?

My children only have me and DH we have no other family that do for our children so all my kids will get this year is the two small presents we managed to get and whatever toys for tots gives us....however there are families that couldn't afford anything at all so they signed up for help so they can have something under their tree Christmas morning, but yet will go to grandparents houses later in the day and get of presents there or presents from other family members...should they feel ashamed as well for getting the help?

****EDIT****I do not feel ashamed of needing help this year...I think it is amazing that there is help out there for families that are struggling and just want to give their children a nice Christmas....I all so don't think any family  should feel ashamed of needing help once in awhile...I also don't feel that a family should feel ashamed because they applied for help and was still able to buy a couple of things for their kids or feel ashamed because they applied for help and their children will still get presents from other family members....

This is the first time we have ever needed help during the holidays in the past we have always donated or adopted a family in need well this year my family needed some help...Tomorrow i will allso be going to the food pantry and picking up a holiday food basket and I am very grateful for that...

Yes this is sort of a spin off from another post....

Oh and before anyone wants to bash me...Maybe you should know I also have a child who is terminally ill and may not get the chance to see many holidays so I will do whatever it takes to make sure she has the best Christmas I can possibly give her!!!!

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gwebkeijmmm
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:58 PM
10 moms liked this
Why do you care what random women on the internet think?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AllofFive19
by Emerald Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:59 PM
2 moms liked this

You shouldn't feel ashamed, you should feel happy that you were able to do this for them and ignore any woman on CM who feels otherwise :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I see no problem nor anything to feel guilty about here.  If you qualify, then you deserve the help.  Screw 'em!

acrogodess
by Emerald Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM

We bought our kids clothes. The woman who adopted them for Christmas knew that was what we were buying. She got them all the fun stuff plus some winter pajamas. She specifically told me that we were the type of family she was trying to help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:02 AM

No. You shouldn't.

mariesmama
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:02 AM

we signed up for toys for tots when we thought hubby had lost his job he was only suspended  we pick up our toys for tots stuff on the 20th

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM
I don't think your kids should have gotten toys for tots period. I don't believe in charities for toys.
JacksonGirl
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this
No you should not feel ashamed for trying to make sure your kids have a nice Christmas.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

I see no problem nor anything to feel guilty about here.  If you qualify, then you deserve the help.  Screw 'em!

no she doesn't deserve help, toys are needed nor required.
melakay1981
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

We are in the same situation and I refuse to feel guilty about it.  Santa will be delivering presents to our house on a firetruck on Saturday.  We spent a decent amount on them for Christmas and the company that is doing this for us is well aware that my daughter is getting a Wii U and my son is getting a tablet plus they are both getting a shit ton of other presents.  They do not care, people from all over have fallen in love with my daughter, I am not going to stop someone from doing something they WANT to do.  I never asked anyone for any help.

Quoting acrogodess:

We bought our kids clothes. The woman who adopted them for Christmas knew that was what we were buying. She got them all the fun stuff plus some winter pajamas. She specifically told me that we were the type of family she was trying to help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)