Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you keep your house smelling good?

I want something that will keep a fragrance flowing through out my house rather than just using Febreeze through out the day... I have tried the Glade plug-ins but I feel like they don't last long enough and my toddlers are always trying to pull them out of the wall. I was thinking about using an oil or even a wax burner, any recommendations ladies?

Note: I clean and vaccum daily, no pets either. I just want a nice clean fragrance smell flowing through out my home all day.

by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:02 AM
Replies (31-40):
ivy801
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Candles, my favorite is fresh cut roses. I have a variety. I like to combine them too. In kitchen I'll turn on mint chocolate and in livingroom I light black cherry. The smell is divine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
samanthastaatss
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

My house doesn't necessarily smell bad-I just prefer it to smell good when I have guests over. I don't have pets either, so the biggest stink problem in my home is when I change a dirty diaper. I usually just open a window and spray febreeze but sometimes even that isn't enough.. Haha but thank you though!

Quoting deek843:

Well all of these suggestions are definitely something that will keep the house smelling good but is it just that you want your house to smell good or that you're trying to cover up scent? Honestly, cleaning is the only way to get the smell out and if your cleaners aren't working I would try a vinegar/water mixture. If it's the carpets then you should maybe deep clean them. The diaper pail smell that someone mentioned...well that's tough! I keep the kitty litter boxes in an isolated room and keep the window open just so that scent has somewhere else to go.

But I have used the Bath and Body works plug ins - I can't smell them after the first week :( and I have Scentsy warmers that I turn on maybe once a week.

Sorry this is so long! But I hope it helps!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I have wax burners and those oil things with the bamboo stick thingies.   But  I recently picked up some odorban (it comes in a gallon jug at home depot) I use it to clean everything walls trash can  laundry carpets and bathrooms.   It takes out any soaked in smells.    Like the pee smell on my couch from when my friend changed her little boy on it-he peed on her and my couch.    It also kills bacteria and molds. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:20 AM
Febeeeze candles work for me. Love them. One downstairs and one upstairs
garnet83
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:27 AM

#1 Keep the house clean. Scrub everything at LEAST weekly and use good smelling cleaning supplies. Sanitize trash cans every couple weeks. Keep things like dirty laundry to a minimum and keep pets bathed and their stuff clean.

#2 When the weather permits, open windows and let fresh air circulate

#3 Oil warmers and candles

DEJavu17
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:28 AM
I buy the big jar candles at dollar general and burn them all day. Takes about a week or so to burn the whole thing. Right now I'm burning vanilla sugar.
Sometimes I boil cinnamon sticks apples and vanilla and it smells awesome! I am anxiously awaiting Christmas, my sil is getting me an oil burner! I'm so excited :)
kellymarie323
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Wallflowers from bath and body works are great
mich.el.le
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Try a diffuser.

The woman in the avi pic is not me, she is my inspiration.  I am a wife, a mother, and an aspiring trainer and nutritionist. I love seeing people get fit and healthy to lead the lives they are meant to live.

starbuckmom03
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:34 AM

In the nicer  months, I open the windows.  When I can't open the windows, I burn a candle or use my scentsy warmer.  I do try and open the windows in the winter time for at least 15 mins to air out the house.

All this and keeping the kitchen and bathroom clean plus keeping the garbage cans cleaned out too.

With 3 boys in this house, its bound to be stinky!!

mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Orange peels and cinnamon stick with cranberries(cover with water) in a small crock pot on medium throughout the day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN