Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My confession

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I work outside of the home for the simple reason that something may happen to DH one day that would make him unable to work and support our family.  He makes enough to support all 5 of us, but I still work.  My husband had a serious back surgery when he was only 20 years old and we had only been dating a year.  He is now 31 and has spinal stenosis, 4 ruptured discs and other issues with his back.  One day he may not even be able to walk, let alone work a job making enough to support us.  So I continue to work to ensure my family is secure and can eat when he is no longer able to provide.  I wish I could stay home with my babies but their future well being is more important to me.  My mom takes care of them while I work, so at least it's the next best thing to me being home with them.  

So when I see SAHMs getting on their soapbox about working moms it pisses me off.  I love my children just as much as you.  Don't even get me started on the SAHMs on welfare. I am working to ensure we hopefully won't have to live off welfare one day. At least if we do end up there I will know in my heart of hearts that we tried our best.   I hate seeing SAHMs that can't even pay their own bills or feed their own families without the assistance of the government.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:01 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Yeah, that's pretty crappy.

Quoting brittany208:

I guess I did hear that once... but it wasnt directed towards someone who was working to make a living. It was towards moms who drop their kids off at daycare all day then don't go to work, or something... Someone actually SAID they dumped their kids off so they wouldnt have to raise them.

Quoting Anonymous:

I do all the time.  SAHMs saying why have kids just to pawn the off to other people to raise and so forth.

Quoting brittany208:

Surprisingly, I really havent seen many SAHMs bashing working moms. Lots of people bashing SAHMs on welfare...

But really--sounds like you are doing what is best for your family and that is awesome! I work part time so I can have the best of both worlds, and it works for us!

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Sadly it goes both ways on here. SAHM have gotten called prostitutes on here LOL. 

People got to do what is best for their family :)

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I'm with you, sister ... I stayed home for 1 year then I decided to keep working because you never know what life will bring your way.  My husband lost his job several times and ultimately, we divorced when my child was 6 years old. If I had not kept working the bills would not have gotten paid in  the hard times and I would have been screwed !  I could not have started all over again, the bank would have never given me a mortgage etc etc

I love my daughter more than anything too but she was in a home day care with an amazing lady who was like a second mom to her for 5 years.  Then she went to school well socialized and well prepared.  You do the best you can with what you have. And I feel I've done my daughter no wrong

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Prostitutes?  

Gotta love cafemom

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

Sadly it goes both ways on here. SAHM have gotten called prostitutes on here LOL. 

People got to do what is best for their family :)

johnie_carney
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM

AMEN finally some one who feels the same about SAHMs who judge us for working. dont judge me when your taking advantage of state aid!!

johnie_carney
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Im a working mother too. I dont see ANY issue with this. My grandmother watches my son so he gets the BEST care and the next best thing to mom is grandma love. my mother worked and still does. i admire the hard work she put in to raise me and my sister((my dad worked alot to)). they raised us to be hardworking women who gives back to our community, repsectful to others, NOT TO EVER take state aid, and to be responsible. If thats being a bad mom then so be it. i will be the worst mother ever then......

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:44 PM
Amen sister! My dh had major back surgery also a few years ago and he has spongistis spelling mobile he has rod screws and cadivar bones, just had toe joint replacement 5 weeks ago he's a mess. I have alnost always worked even before I met him with my 1st dh. I agree if you are capiable to work without having to live on welfare you should because you never know if or when you might need it not just to sit on the computer all day long.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Me too.  I believe being a SAHM is a priviledge for those who can afford it.  If you can't afford to take care of your kids, then you can't afford not to work.

Quoting johnie_carney:

Im a working mother too. I dont see ANY issue with this. My grandmother watches my son so he gets the BEST care and the next best thing to mom is grandma love. my mother worked and still does. i admire the hard work she put in to raise me and my sister((my dad worked alot to)). they raised us to be hardworking women who gives back to our community, repsectful to others, NOT TO EVER take state aid, and to be responsible. If thats being a bad mom then so be it. i will be the worst mother ever then......

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Exactly.  How many times do women come on here and say DH left them or whatever and was a SAHM so now they don't know what to do.  DH is always telling me to stay home but there is no way in hell.  I'm too worried about our future.  If I don't work now and need to in the future then what kind of job would I be able to get without experience or skills.

Quoting Anonymous:

Amen sister! My dh had major back surgery also a few years ago and he has spongistis spelling mobile he has rod screws and cadivar bones, just had toe joint replacement 5 weeks ago he's a mess. I have alnost always worked even before I met him with my 1st dh. I agree if you are capiable to work without having to live on welfare you should because you never know if or when you might need it not just to sit on the computer all day long.

LadyF86
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

It does not matter if you are a working mom or SAHM. It matters if you are a good mom. I think it is ridiculous to not have a job and pawn your kids off at Daycare or babysitter. I was at my son's Daycare Xmas party and a few moms got special gifts which were for always being there to help when the teacher needed them. Well HELLOOO... if you are always available to help then why is your kid at Daycare????? The teacher told us that a couple moms do not work but still watches them full time. Ugh, lazy parents piss me off!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)