Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think I went overboard??

Posted by   + Show Post
I have 4 kids ages 9,7,5 & 10 months. Well this year me & the hubby decided that we were going to go all out for the kids this year for Christmas. We have been saving all year & also took advantage of DH's flexible spending account through work & also a Christmas bonus through work. We have spent almost $2500 for Christmas this year. (Also buying for neice & nephews) Well, my mother asked me how much we had spent & after I told her she flipped out on me! Telling me how I have completely lost my mind & that its just horrible parenting on my part!
I don't really understand what the problem is, I mean its our hard earned money, our bills are paid, & we recieve help from no one! Most of the items that we have purchased are expensive items. My 2 oldest each Samsung galexy tablets & 3ds. My 5 year old a peg pergo 4wheeler. Plus clothes, shoes & other toys.
What do you think? Would you go all out for Christmas for your kids if you could financially afford to? Or am I just insane?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM
Replies (51-60):
Gemma06
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:09 AM
Normally we could never afford to spend this kind of money for Christmas & even though I have taught my kids the meaning of family & what Christmas is all about...I still always had that bad horrible feeling that I wish I could have done more! And this year we are financially able, because we finally paid off our mortgage & have been saving for this all year, & for the first time I feel good about being able to give them the Christmas they deserve! It's not easy when you have 4 kids & I figured my mom would have been a little more understanding & proud of us instead of being mean & hurtful!

Quoting thatgirl70:

We go all out on our son. We have the money for it, I'm not ashamed. But you know, sometimes I do feel like we kind of get that look of judgement from the in-laws when we do. Too bad, my kid, our money.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gemma06
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:10 AM
Baahummbug!

Quoting Anonymous:

Not a Grinch, and thank you for proving my point.

Quoting Gemma06:

Aww! I'm sorry your a grinch & can't be happy for other people! Go be pissy on someone else's post Anon! Or you can keep making rude comments on mine.....whatever makes you feel better! ;)

Quoting Anonymous:

I think you're just looking for an excuse to announce to CM how much you spent on Christmas, as if anyone gives a shit.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tlcory
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes and I have when they were young (all adults now), it is no ones business not even your Mothers how much you spend. IMO Christmas is the one time of year you should splurge on your kids and if you can afford it, I say go for it! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:12 AM
LOL

it's "humbug"

Enjoy it while you can. If this is indicative of the kinds of money decisions you make, you won't have it long.

Merry Christmas.

Quoting Gemma06:

Baahummbug!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Gemma06:

Aww! I'm sorry your a grinch & can't be happy for other people! Go be pissy on someone else's post Anon! Or you can keep making rude comments on mine.....whatever makes you feel better! ;)

Quoting Anonymous:

I think you're just looking for an excuse to announce to CM how much you spent on Christmas, as if anyone gives a shit.

Anonymous
That's really not much for 5 kids, thats good enough. 500 each
Anonymous
1 mom liked this
I spent that on. 2 kids my money my business
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:13 AM
1 mom liked this
You can do whatever you want with your money. I wouldn't do it. We find it wasteful. But, we "waste" money on vacations every year. We do things instead of buy things. We would rather our kids have experiences instead of toys or gadgets, for the most part. (they have gadgets, too, just not many)
wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:14 AM

I used to when they were smaller and it seemed like the more I bought the less it was appreciated. Also when I really went all out within weeks of Christmas they were bored and said they didn't have anything to play with. It made me absolutely boil, because I was still paying it off and thay had already kickednit to the curb . When i kept it small they seemed to take better care of what I bought and appreciate it more.

Gemma06
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:14 AM
Lmao! Feel better?

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL

it's "humbug"

Enjoy it while you can. If this is indicative of the kinds of money decisions you make, you won't have it long.

Merry Christmas.

Quoting Gemma06:

Baahummbug!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Gemma06:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:17 AM

I think as long as you don't have to borrow money from anyone to pay bills throughout the year you should go for it.  My parents always did our Christmas big and I do the same thing for my kids.  My kids understand "the reason for the season"  They also know it's about family time. It's your money screw everybody else opinions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured