Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think I went overboard??

Posted by   + Show Post
I have 4 kids ages 9,7,5 & 10 months. Well this year me & the hubby decided that we were going to go all out for the kids this year for Christmas. We have been saving all year & also took advantage of DH's flexible spending account through work & also a Christmas bonus through work. We have spent almost $2500 for Christmas this year. (Also buying for neice & nephews) Well, my mother asked me how much we had spent & after I told her she flipped out on me! Telling me how I have completely lost my mind & that its just horrible parenting on my part!
I don't really understand what the problem is, I mean its our hard earned money, our bills are paid, & we recieve help from no one! Most of the items that we have purchased are expensive items. My 2 oldest each Samsung galexy tablets & 3ds. My 5 year old a peg pergo 4wheeler. Plus clothes, shoes & other toys.
What do you think? Would you go all out for Christmas for your kids if you could financially afford to? Or am I just insane?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM
Replies (61-70):
Gemma06
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:17 AM
(4 kids) and no its not really a lot when you think of how much things cost & splitting it between the kids. It doesn't go far!

Quoting Anonymous:

That's really not much for 5 kids, thats good enough. 500 each

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:19 AM
LOL!

I didn't feel bad before, and I don't now. How about you? Enjoying the attention?

Tell me, did your mom really ask that or did you make that part up? My money is on "made it up".

Quoting Gemma06:

Lmao! Feel better?

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL

it's "humbug"

Enjoy it while you can. If this is indicative of the kinds of money decisions you make, you won't have it long.

Merry Christmas.

Quoting Gemma06:

Baahummbug!

Quoting Anonymous:

Not a Grinch, and thank you for proving my point.

Quoting Gemma06:

Aww! I'm sorry your a grinch & can't be happy for other people! Go be pissy on someone else's post Anon! Or you can keep making rude comments on mine.....whatever makes you feel better! ;)

Quoting Anonymous:

I think you're just looking for an excuse to announce to CM how much you spent on Christmas, as if anyone gives a shit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:19 AM
Pic of the doll house!

Quoting Barronbaby:

I spent $400 on all 3 of mine... but I did get a ton of deals on black Friday... my big 10 by 10 walk in closet is full of goodies for my kiddos and dd doll house I made for her is hidden in my shower since I'm adding finishing touches. I can't wait to see the look on their little faces its the best Christmas they have ever had.

Gemma06
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:21 AM
I really hope that doesn't happen in our case, but they are used to not getting much & do seem to appreciate & take care of what they have. This will be their first huge Christmas, & I think I'm going to take the advice from another poster & tell them that this is a special Christmas!

Quoting wooly:

I used to when they were smaller and it seemed like the more I bought the less it was appreciated. Also when I really went all out within weeks of Christmas they were bored and said they didn't have anything to play with. It made me absolutely boil, because I was still paying it off and thay had already kickednit to the curb . When i kept it small they seemed to take better care of what I bought and appreciate it more.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MAllen93
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:23 AM
1 mom liked this
It's ur money! It's not like ur kids are not getting food or Yall r living in a box. U have all ur bills paid so don't worry
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Gemma06
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:24 AM
Omg! There always has to be one that one person! Gotta love CM! Merry Christmas Anon! ;)

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL!

I didn't feel bad before, and I don't now. How about you? Enjoying the attention?

Tell me, did your mom really ask that or did you make that part up? My money is on "made it up".

Quoting Gemma06:

Lmao! Feel better?

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL

it's "humbug"

Enjoy it while you can. If this is indicative of the kinds of money decisions you make, you won't have it long.

Merry Christmas.

Quoting Gemma06:

Baahummbug!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Gemma06:

Aww! I'm sorry your a grinch & can't be happy for other people! Go be pissy on someone else's post Anon! Or you can keep making rude comments on mine.....whatever makes you feel better! ;)

Quoting Anonymous:

I think you're just looking for an excuse to announce to CM how much you spent on Christmas, as if anyone gives a shit.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Just curious, when you were growing up, did your parents struggle financially? I know with my in-laws, although they are well off now, weren't always that way, particular when DH's two older brothers were younger. Having grown up in the 50's & 60's and their parents having lived through the Dust Bowl and Great Depression, I'm sure they were raised to be very thrifty. So for that, I totally get it, but doesn't mean I like being judged.

So with your mom, I wonder if it's a little bit of how she was raised and what was available to her when she was raising you...maybe some jealousy there?

Quoting Gemma06:

Normally we could never afford to spend this kind of money for Christmas & even though I have taught my kids the meaning of family & what Christmas is all about...I still always had that bad horrible feeling that I wish I could have done more! And this year we are financially able, because we finally paid off our mortgage & have been saving for this all year, & for the first time I feel good about being able to give them the Christmas they deserve! It's not easy when you have 4 kids & I figured my mom would have been a little more understanding & proud of us instead of being mean & hurtful!

Quoting thatgirl70:

We go all out on our son. We have the money for it, I'm not ashamed. But you know, sometimes I do feel like we kind of get that look of judgement from the in-laws when we do. Too bad, my kid, our money.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:33 AM
Heh. I knew it was just an excuse to brag.

Merry Christmas to you too. Like I said, enjoy it while it lasts. ;)

Quoting Gemma06:

Omg! There always has to be one that one person! Gotta love CM! Merry Christmas Anon! ;)

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL!

Quoting Gemma06:

Lmao! Feel better?

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL

it's "humbug"

Merry Christmas.

Quoting Gemma06:

Baahummbug!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Gemma06:

Quoting Anonymous:

ChelseaLDD
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:35 AM
You went overboard by telling your mom the amount you spent on your kids for Christmas, in my opinion. But as far as the actual presents, etc. I think it sounds fine. I don't see anything wrong with going overboard for Christmas. We do it too, and if it doesn't put you in debt I say it's your money, do what you want.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:36 AM

It's your money and your kids. We spent well over $3k, possible $4k all together for christmas, this year, and that is about our norm. They are my kids, and I will spoil them rotten if I feel like it. Until someone starts paying my bills or sleeping in my bed, they have no say over it. Merry Christmas!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)