Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Husband Actually Did It!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
4 moms liked this

Two boxes arrived in my name from Barnes&Noble...but I have not ordered anything lately...my husband snatched them up, took them upstairs, and returned with two wrapped rectangles that look very much like books...eeeeee!!!!!

Why am I so excited?  Well, first of all, I am a big ol' book loving NERD. :)

Second, after a few years of fighting and having a rather...well, crap marriage, to put it bluntly...we have finally been getting on well.  In fact, we have been downright HAPPY!  It may seem like a small thing to some, but the fact that he ordered books for me, wrapped them, and put them under the tree says a lot about how far he has come.

He was raised in what we have come to refer to as an "emotionally constipated" family.  They were also the type that always knew exactly what they were getting for Christmas and birthdays, because they were usually there when it was picked out.  As you might have guessed, they are a mildly materialistic family too.  I guess that is all well and good, but for DH, it is symbolic of a real emotional detachment.  The concept of "doing something just to be nice" or "getting a gift from the heart" was foreign to him.  Before, he always had to know exactly what I wanted for Christmas, and would always say something like "Really? You wouldn't rather have a (insert expensive piece of technology or some such thing here)?" when I finally thought up something.  Then, he would generally give me whatever it was that I could be happy with or without the day he got it, in a sort of "well, here you go" kind of way.  Also, if he said "I want this", it was not just a suggestion, and he would not even try to cover his disappointment if I got him something different (which he could never wait until Christmas to open).  It is not that I was ever ungrateful for the gifts I received...they just felt so...obligatory.

This year, there has been no discussion of "what do you want?".  I jokingly asked him what he got me, and he said, "Something that made me think of you."  He has not even tried peeking into his gifts!  I am over the moon.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lmscm
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:13 AM
That is so wonderful and sweet. I'm so glad your marriage seems to be getting better.
Hanab818
by ThePonds on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Awww that's cute. I'm a big old book whore too. So I would get excited to. Glad things are going good.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Quoting lmscm:

That is so wonderful and sweet. I'm so glad your marriage seems to be getting better.

CuriousArentYa
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:28 AM

That's great!!!! Good for you two!

DEJavu17
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Awwwww!
babyksmom1019
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Awe :)
How sweet!
desperatelyTTC
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Good for you! :)
lincolnlady
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:44 AM
That's great! Happy for you!
CrazyLife1996
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:46 AM
This is wonderful. I'm extremely happy for you.
HanaJoii
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I'm constanly telling my husband that its the little things that matter the most!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)