Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it normal for a 22 month old to bite his nails?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

I have no idea why my toddler son is doing this! I'm a sahm, I don't bite my nails and neither does his dad. His uncle does, but he hasn't been around him enough to pick up the habit and I don't think I've ever seen him do it in front of my son.

he bites all of them, all the way off, as far as he can go without bleeding.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:22 AM
Omg am I that boring? Sorry I'm not cheating with my sisters husbands exwifes dog!
mama_bear77
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:23 AM
lol um its normal i guess but if you want.him to stop try hot sauce
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Maria_Peanut
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:24 AM
I dont know but please try to get him to stop. Im 22 and i compulsively bite my nails. I hate it so much. He will too one day :/ It makes your hands look gross.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
I_luv_my_boys3
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:25 AM
My 22ms old DS bites his thumb >.< I've never actually seen him bite his nails though...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:26 AM
Ok ya I dislike the way it makes the nails look too. I always try to make him stop but its almost like a comfort thing now. It's been going on for about 4 months...

Quoting Maria_Peanut:

I dont know but please try to get him to stop. Im 22 and i compulsively bite my nails. I hate it so much. He will too one day :/ It makes your hands look gross.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:28 AM
I'm pretty sure that will burn his skin where his nail should be, and then his tongue. Pretty cruel.

Quoting mama_bear77:

lol um its normal i guess but if you want.him to stop try hot sauce
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:28 AM
It's so weird.

Quoting I_luv_my_boys3:

My 22ms old DS bites his thumb >.< I've never actually seen him bite his nails though...
Maria_Peanut
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:28 AM
Yeah i do it when i get nervous. Or sad. Or excited. It's definitely for comfort! Its not a HORRIBLE habit, but definitely one you don't want him taking into his teen years :/

Good luck! I hope he stops soon :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok ya I dislike the way it makes the nails look too. I always try to make him stop but its almost like a comfort thing now. It's been going on for about 4 months...

Quoting Maria_Peanut:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pedro
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:28 AM
It's normal. Around two they start picking up habits no matter if they've been around them or not. My son does it as well, but has slowed down. I haven't had to cut his nails since he was 15 months or so and he's three now. I have noticed that if I DO cut them down some or file them down, he doesn't bit them as much.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sheymann
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Thank you for the much needed laugh. :)

As for your son, have you talked to his doctor about what you can do? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Omg am I that boring? Sorry I'm not cheating with my sisters husbands exwifes dog!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)