Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel like the worst cat owner in the entire world

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:53 AM
  • 9 Replies
My meeko has been sick for months and I've taken her to the vet and they have done everything short of X-rays and exploratory surgery. She's pretty sure it's cancer and I feel like shit because I can't afford the treatment. I've spent 1000 bucks trying to get her better. They've done blood work and lots of meds and still it wasnt enough and so today at 11 I have to let her go.

I really hope the Christmas card my mom sen me has 100 bucks in it so that I can afford to let her go. Otherwise I have to hope they will work our a payment plan.

God I feel horrible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LoveMyLos
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Aww im sorry. How old is kitty? I had a ferret named meeko. He was 4 and had an ulcer, but i caught it too late.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shivasgirl
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:55 AM

oh, I am so sorry, but you have to know that pet cancer treatment isnt very successful and only gives them a few more months at best. My aunt spent thousands on her dog just for her to pass before a year...I am sure your kitty knows how much you love her, and your vet will surely work something out for you...hugs

A.B.C.brown07
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM
I think it's Terrible of your vet to not offer euthanasia for free since you spent so much money already.
When clients come to my office in your predicament and have at least paid for a minimum work-up, we go ahead and offer humane euthanasia at no cost. Nobody wins here if you don't because the pet is suffering.

I would call around different vets and have your records faxed.

I'm sorry you are having to go through this
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rockgal81
by Steph on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM
Awwww I'm sorry! We lost our family dog to cancer a few years ago. Just know that cancer treatment only prolongs their life for a short time, so you're doing the more humane thing. My thoughts are with you :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Greenstone920
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM

That happened to us earlier this year.  One of our cats had a huge clump of crystals in her bladder causing blockages and infections, and we couldn't afford the $2000+ for surgery.  We put her on a special diet, and did medication and even tried chinese herbs.  But there was no way around it.  We ended up having to say goodbye.  I still feel so guilty for having taken her away from my other cat.  They had been together for 7 years and were the best of friends.  :(

Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:10 AM
She's 3 and a half

Quoting LoveMyLos:

Aww im sorry. How old is kitty? I had a ferret named meeko. He was 4 and had an ulcer, but i caught it too late.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:59 AM
God this is so hard, my fiancé is on a business trip so I have to put on a brave face and do this alone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Goodbye meeko. You were an awesome cat and your buddy Dixie is going to miss you.

I miss you. I remember the day I brought you home, you weren't even 6 weeks old and you fit in my hand. You'd follow me around and you loved to be held. You'd sleep in the crook of my arm every night and purr yourself to sleep. You were an awesome kitty and you will be missed. You were there when I had to let raja go last year and after searching the house for her and meowing you finally curled up in my lap like you realized she wasn't coming back. I hope you two are up there playing together and looking down on us, because we miss you both.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)