Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding moms help me

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies
I have been breastfeeding for 2 1/2 weeks now, i'm close to tears i don't know how much longer i can do this. My nipples are starting to blister an crack. My daughter nurse about every 2 - 3 hours. Considering formula at this point, my nipples are painful
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
areyouatroll
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Get her checked for tongue tie or lip tie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 2:59 PM
3 moms liked this
It sounds weird, but express a few drops of milk and put it on your nipples, then let them "air out" for a few minutes
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:00 PM
Her tongue and mouth looks fine, what exactly is tongue tie?

Quoting areyouatroll:

starbuckmom03
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Hate to tell you this but its going to last a bit longer.  My first, it was at least 6 weeks before they stopped hurting.

Check the latch.  Is your dd latching ok?  Nursing every 2-3 hours is normal.  She will nurse more as she goes through growth spurts which is normal.  Thats natures way of helping up your supply.

Also, when she is done nursing, take some breast milk and coat your nipples in it and let them air dry.  Find some nipple cream too and keep using that.

Find yourself a Le Leche League group around you.  Great support group and can help with any latching problems.

jakesmom323
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Medela Thera Shells will help protect them while they heal and lanolin cream will soothe. Starting out is really hard and gets better. I went through the same stuff;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
starbuckmom03
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:02 PM

The flap under her tongue that holds in place might go to the end of her tongue.  That is tongue tie.  My oldest had it and I got it clipped at a week old.  So glad I did b/c we went on to nurse w/o any problems for 18 mos.

Quoting Anonymous:

Her tongue and mouth looks fine, what exactly is tongue tie?

Quoting areyouatroll:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:03 PM
Try a shield. Did wonders for me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this
This. It is normal what you're describing. Your nipples are getting used to having them suckled on. You're close to te pain being over. Have yountried puttinb lanolin on them?

Just hang in there momma! Remember all the other women before you have went through this too and continues to Breastfeed for years! Trust me any day now you'll go to nurse and be like no pain!!!! It happened with mine! Just hang in there. You will be so glad you did!

Quoting starbuckmom03:

Hate to tell you this but its going to last a bit longer.  My first, it was at least 6 weeks before they stopped hurting.

Check the latch.  Is your dd latching ok?  Nursing every 2-3 hours is normal.  She will nurse more as she goes through growth spurts which is normal.  Thats natures way of helping up your supply.

Also, when she is done nursing, take some breast milk and coat your nipples in it and let them air dry.  Find some nipple cream too and keep using that.

Find yourself a Le Leche League group around you.  Great support group and can help with any latching problems.

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Lanolin was a huge help for me. I put it on before pumping and after nursing. I was also careful to stay away from super hot showers and to make sure to wear as much cotton as possible and go braless whenever I was at home. It didn't make it all better, but it kept the bleeding at bay.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:05 PM

From my experience it does hurt at first but it does get better. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)