Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

children not being baptised?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:05 PM
  • 125 Replies

My bio-mom and I were talking and she launched in on me about how myself and sister's kids (ranging from 10months to 3&1/2 between us) have neither of our kids baptised. Personally, I was baptised Lutheran by bio-mom, and AGAIN Catholic by adoptive parents.

I have NEVER attended a Lutheran OR Catholic church. I've only attended Baptist and non-denominational churches, so if I had to identify, I'd identify as Baptist. NEITHER OF THEM BAPTISES CHILDREN!

My mom launched into me about how "young parents of today don't give two shits about their kids!"

Even if I had them baptised in her church, I know no one belonging to the same sect to be their god parents! Any advice?

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:06 PM
My ds is not baptized because I am not going to lie and say I plan on raising him in a church when I dont
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
2manydiapers
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:09 PM
2 moms liked this
Baptism in some religions is the child's choice to make since children are deemed innocent. You can explain that to her, and look into why you haven't done it. Churches don't require same religion for god parents. Heck why don't you and your sister use each other as God parents.
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

My son wasn't baptized and won't be until he is old enough to make that decision for himself. Baptism is a public sign of a personal commitment and doesn't mean anything when done to a child too young to understand.

Lots of churches do dedications, where the parents and the congregation promise to raise the child before God. You don't need a specific set of godparents for that.

xixCandyxix
by Candy on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:10 PM

My mom said I was choosing not to baptize them cuz I'm a bad parent. I tried telling her my religion doesn't do that.

Quoting 2manydiapers:

Baptism in some religions is the child's choice to make since children are deemed innocent. You can explain that to her, and look into why you haven't done it. Churches don't require same religion for god parents. Heck why don't you and your sister use each other as God parents.

IntactivistMama
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM
4 moms liked this
I don't believe in Christianity. My children are heathens, like me.
mom-x-2
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:12 PM
Ehhh screw it... my kids aren't baptized. My mother was very catholic, so I was baptized and attended ccd (against my will) and confirmed. She passed when I was 18. I don't follow any faith nor is my family religious. When I had mine my aunt asked about baptism. I told her no. She was surprised. I have no plans on attending any church and will leave that decision to my kids to make for themselves.
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:13 PM

We don't baptise our children but we are Atheists. Your kids, your choice.

bry36
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Same here we believe children are dedicated but baptism is a person choice to make when you are old enough to understand the commitment of that and we also believe children are innocent until they reach an age of accountability so if they should die for that time then they are already going to heaven .

Quoting B1Bomber:

My son wasn't baptized and won't be until he is old enough to make that decision for himself. Baptism is a public sign of a personal commitment and doesn't mean anything when done to a child too young to understand.

Lots of churches do dedications, where the parents and the congregation promise to raise the child before God. You don't need a specific set of godparents for that.

702girly
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:13 PM

My mom threatened to kidnap my son and have him baptised. I told her if she did it that would be the last time she ever saw him.

She got over it.

olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Dec. 20, 2012 at 3:14 PM
My mil wants me to put my son in Sunday school and keeps asking if I pray with him before bed. I say no. We don't go to church, why would I put him in Sunday school or pray with him? It's tough having different views, but this is my family. I make the decisions.. Well my husband helps, or he thinks he does:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)