Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you ever make your own laundry detergent? Deodorant? Cleaning products? Home remedies?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:45 PM
  • 91 Replies
2 moms liked this

I found a recipe online and tried it.  I think it worked just fine.  I added a bit more for heavily soiled items.

Why use make them yourself?  Probably to avoid using toxic chemicals in the home, and to save $$$.

Homemade Powdered Laundry Detergent (Large Batch)

by K Coake @ The Real Thing with the Coake Family (www.realcoake.blogspot.com)
Prep Time: 20 mins
Keywords: laundry detergent

Ingredients (? 180 loads ?)
  • 1 box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (3lbs 7 oz)
  • 1 large box Baking Soda (4 lbs)
  • 1 box Borax (4lbs 12 oz)
  • 3 bars Fels Naptha (or other soap you prefer- use same number of oz as Fels Naptha)
Instructions
Grate the 3 bars of Fels-Naptha. Process them through a food processor or blender to a smaller consistency (optional).
Place all ingredients in a trash bag or large bucket. Mix.
Use 2 Tablespoons per load.

here's an interesting deodorant recipe. 

Homemade Solid Deodorant

Ingredients:

1/2 cup coconut oil
1 1/2 Tablespoons beeswax pellets
1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup cornstarch
10 drops each of Lavender, Lemon and Frankincense Essential Oils

homemade deodorant

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/10/make-your-own-all-natural-deodorant-stick-or-spray.html

20 Great Uses for Tea Tree Oil

there is one type of oil that’s green, sustainable, healthy, and–as far as I know–has never been the rationale behind a major military intervention: tea tree oil.

Tea tree oil, explains the UWA Tea Tree Oil Research Group, is the essential oil steam distilled from the Australian plant Melaleuca alternifolia (unique to Australia and native to Northern New South Wales). Tea tree oil is usually clear to very pale golden in color and it exudes a fresh, camphor-like scent.

For Cleaning

11. To create an all-purpose cleaner, combine 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil in 2 cups of water in a spray bottle.
12. Another version would be 14 ounces of water with 1 ounce of Murphy’s oil soap and 10 drops of tea tree oil.
13. Mix the above solution with kosher salt to scrub bathtub and bathroom tiles.
14. Add a few drops to dishwasher dispenser, then fill with a green dishwashing soap.
15. A few drops added to each load of laundry leave your clothes smelling cleaner.
16. Control mold with a tea tree oil/water spray.
17. Remove mustiness with that same tea tree oil/water spray.
18. To keep germs at bay, spray it on high chairs, car seats, and other high traffic spots.
19. 15 drops in a quart of water can be an effective insect repellent.
20. Be sure to take some with you when hiking and camping to put directly on insect bites or blisters

Medicinal uses of Chamomile Herb:

A steeped infusion of the chamomile herb's flowers is used as a hair chamomile shampoo. The dried flowers of the chamomile herb are also used in specific herbal cosmetics as an anti-allergenic agent. Some topical applications that contain chamomile are used as a salve for hemorrhoids and wounds. When the herb is dried it is made into a potpourri and herb pillows for aesthetic showcasing in homes and display windows, while the dried chamomile flowers are burned during aromatherapy. As an external application, camomile infusion can be used as an herbal face wash or as a compress for skin abrasions, suntan, burns, and can be added into a bath for relieving fatigued, aching muscles and feet, and toning down the skin.

Chamomile as an herb is one of the most widely utilized soothing nervine herb. It helps in relaxing and toning the nervous system, and is particularly useful for treating anxiety and tension. It also helps as a remedy for digestive disorders such as gas, colic pains and sometimes even ulcers. The herb's ability to treat physical symptoms in addition to psychological problems, is one of the greatest benefits that chamomile can provide. It is safe to treat all forms of stress and fear related disorders and also makes for a pleasant late night tea to ensure peaceful sleep. Organic chamomile is useful for children with anxiety related disorders and can also be used to soothe teething infants. Recent medical research has revealed the ability of chamomile in fighting inflammation and infection. It can be used to clear bladder infections and for easing blood clots, muscle tension and water retention. Herbalists also believe that inhaling the steam containing chamomile extracts relieves the symptoms of cold and cough while improving anxiety and quality of life in patients afflicted with cancer. Chamomile tea benefits are far ranging and can be safely consumed as a herbal tea daily.

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
scoutfamilyof7
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I have made my own laundry detergent and loved it! I haven't made it in a while simply because it takes time and I am lazy. LOL I also use vinegar and water to clean my windows.

P.N._Guin
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:47 PM
The only thing I don't make is my own deodorant... It makes me nervous..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Felion on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:48 PM

we make our own hand soap and cleaning solution that is good for everywhere around the house. 

Megan11587
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:48 PM
I make my own laundry detergent and dishwasher detergent
opal10161973
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I use the Fels-Naptha, Borax, Washing Powder one, not Baking powder.  One bar and 1 cup each of the other two and I make a 5 gallon bucket of liquid.  I have been using this for 3.5 years or so and have saved hundreds on Laundry Detergent.

areyouatroll
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:49 PM
I make my own toothpaste, use bs and acv for hair, crystal rock for deodorant, etc
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arkhana
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:49 PM
I make a lot of my own beauty/hygiene products. Unknown crap they put in mainstream stuff scares me.
quietbookworm
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:50 PM

That is my goal.

wodntulk2kno1
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Maybe household cleaners but the other stuff no
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiDoMama
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 4:53 PM
I recently made my own "febreze" and was very happy with it; so yes I would! I won't go make my own cloth diaper detergent, because I'm still a newbie to it all. :) But I would do the regular detergent and deoderant. A quick question...does the detergent work well in very hard water? Or should i try extra borax with it? Anyway thanks for sharing the recipes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)