Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I cook a potroast?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 7:33 PM
  • 9 Replies
And what do I put in it? I know carrots & potatoes are good. For the carrots should I get fresh or frozen?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Hanab818
by ThePonds on Dec. 20, 2012 at 7:40 PM

i do mine with a can of cream of mushroom soup, a packet of frend onion soup onion, potatoes, carrots and sometime celery and I slow cook it on low for 8 hours till it can be pulled apart with a fork. and a can full of water.

mbc324
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I use fresh carrots, potatoes and onions and some beef broth.

DannieLou
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I cook roast overnight. I put it in the crockpot, cover with water, add beef bullion (sp?) cubes and seasoned salt. I use fresh baby carrots, put them in 4 hours before dinner. I cut russet potatoes into wedges and add 2 hours before dinner. Cooked on low the entire time.

beethann
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 7:42 PM
This, it is so amazingly good!

I do it without the vegetables and just do whatever on the side sometimes though, too.

Quoting Hanab818:

i do mine with a can of cream of mushroom soup, a packet of frend onion soup onion, potatoes, carrots and sometime celery and I slow cook it on low for 8 hours till it can be pulled apart with a fork. and a can full of water.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Peaceful.chaos
by Emerald Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 7:45 PM
What size roast? It seems mine cooks forever! Last time it was 9 hours on high before I got it to point of falling apart. I'm going to try this recipe. I like to pan sear the roast beforehand so it's browned on the edges. Yum.

Quoting Hanab818:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmberMerrell
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:09 PM
Thanks ladies!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hanab818
by ThePonds on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:43 PM
I never really pay attention to that really. But I think no more then 3 lbs.

Quoting Peaceful.chaos:

What size roast? It seems mine cooks forever! Last time it was 9 hours on high before I got it to point of falling apart. I'm going to try this recipe. I like to pan sear the roast beforehand so it's browned on the edges. Yum.

Quoting Hanab818:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I usually use potatoes and carrots and put water in with it and then whatever seasonings sound good. 

Oh and fresh carrots, always fresh! Or the bagged ones that you put in your fridge. Nothing frozen!

DarksMama
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Carrots, potatoes, onions, a little garlic. Some beef broth, and little water. You can use the seasoning packets from the grocery store, or you can wing it with your favorite spices. You can also use a can of your favorite beef compatible creamed soup. But I put the veggies in the bottom of the crock pot, rub the meat with the dry spices, and pan sear for a minute, then put the roast on top of the veggies. Add soup/broth and water just to cover the meat. Cook on high most of the day til it comes apart with a fork. You can add a little cornstarch and water mixed together in the last hour if you want to give the 'gravy' a little texture.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)