Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

peanut allergy question

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM
  • 14 Replies
DD goes to peanut free school and one of her classmates does in fact have an allergy towards... My question is, do food/candy products always put a warning if made with or made in peanut factory?

I wanna bake cupcakes but I don't wanna kill anyone

I will be using
box cake mix
Oreos
Rollos
Pretzels (most brands said made in factory that contains peanuts but I found one that didn't say that)
Marshmallows
And fruit roll ups

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nathans_mom0612
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:13 PM
I think they usually do. If a snack is brought in they always call me and give me the list of ingedients and ask if its ok if he has it.
kimmykat222
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Oh ok, good idea! Do u have a website that u could recommend?

Quoting RottenKindaQute:

Not all company's put a warning. Just do a google search of safe brands. Some cake mixes are not safe.

I used to have a bunch of websites bookmarked, but I had to reset my phone.

Also, check for safe brands of frosting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:20 PM

You're better off looking for something that specifically says it's nut free. I think the label would say something like "manufactured in a peanut and tree nut free facility" but I don't recall the exact wording.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I don't think so but if stuff is made in a peanut free facility they put that on the box.

jacandjay
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:22 PM

im so thankful that my daughters class this year has no allergies at all! good luck :)

Hellobabies
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:25 PM

You can usually find allergen free stuff in the health food isle. My son has a peanut allergy, so that is where I find some stuff.

kimmykat222
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:37 PM
I don't think I would be able to find anything that says that for what I wanna make :(

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

You're better off looking for something that specifically says it's nut free. I think the label would say something like "manufactured in a peanut and tree nut free facility" but I don't recall the exact wording.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pnukey
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Yes, they have to put a warning. It is conveniently placed after the list of ingredients, often in bold lettering.

DS is allergic to nuts. I've read a lot of labels over the last few years. Those buggers show up everywhere!

kimmykat222
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Omg this website is great! Thank you so much! Pretzels I got are on safe list! Yaaay!

Quoting RottenKindaQute:

Snacksafely.com has always been helpful for me.

Is the child allergic to only peanuts, or tree nuts in general?

Quoting kimmykat222:

Oh ok, good idea! Do u have a website that u could recommend?

Quoting RottenKindaQute:

Not all company's put a warning. Just do a google search of safe brands. Some cake mixes are not safe.

I used to have a bunch of websites bookmarked, but I had to reset my phone.

Also, check for safe brands of frosting.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Quoting kimmykat222:

I don't think I would be able to find anything that says that for what I wanna make :(

Well, if I remember right original oreos are nut free. I think most marshmallows are not safe, but you could make your own or possibly find a nut-free brand. Pretty sure roll-ups are nut-free, but I'd have to hunt down my list. It's the boxed cake mix you should be cautious of; try googling it to see if you can find out for sure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)