Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Post-Partum Depression

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

I caught the bug. Don't really know what to do about it, I noticed some feelings during the pregnancy but thought it was just hormones. Now it's too late to be baby-blues - baby is three months old. Let's be clear though... post-partum depression and post-partum depression with psychosis are two entirely different entities. I'm not psychotic. Just sad all the time and wondering if I'll ever be happy again. 

So the doctor is sending me to a support group and getting my blood tested to try and heal it rather than medicate it. I'm at a loss here. I am feeling very alone.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Anyone else?

Jaxsonsmama2009
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this
It took me close to a year to feel normal with both of my kids. I just wasnt myself but I didn't want to ask for help, so I smiled and pretended everything was okay. That was so dumb to do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM
I never had that. This lady told me people ooh and aah over pregnant ladies then you give birth and people show the attention to the babies. The support group will help. I think it's important to understand why and work through your depression. Medication only numbs the issues.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:31 PM
I had it for about a year untreated. I had depression and all sorts of other things before getting pregnant and was never really treated. I just snapped out of it one day. Ds is 5 and I still have bad days here and there but it is what it is, I've learned to live with it.

Question though...what is the bloodwork for?!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:33 PM

IMO you should be getting horomones to balance yourself out. jmo though.

crazycurls920
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:34 PM
I started to feel like that too. Little sleep, always nursing, always home. I missed interacting with people other than dh. Your hormones might be a little wacky right now too. Find a hobby, get up in the morning and get dressed, do your hair, make up. It sounds silly but it nade me feel better. Exersise has slso been shown to improve moods, so if you can take a walk or if its too cold, crank up that music and show your little one your awesome dance moves.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Quoting Jaxsonsmama2009:

It took me close to a year to feel normal with both of my kids. I just wasnt myself but I didn't want to ask for help, so I smiled and pretended everything was okay. That was so dumb to do.

I did the same thing. There is such a stigma associated with ppd. Women are supposed to be happy when they have babies. They aren't supposed to be sad or angry. They aren't supposed to feel isolated. They are supposed to be elated over having a new baby. I suffered with both my children. One of which was really bad. I had cameras installed in my home so I could watch my child sleep. Even at 12 and 18 months old. It was so crazy and stupid and just plain sad. Looking back I wonder why nobody tried to help me. I was so deep in it I couldn't see it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM

He's checking for anemia and hyperthyroidism (just in case that's not expelling enough hormones). I know I have problems with my blood but I'm almost certain that's not what it is. I'm not a doctor though.

Quoting Anonymous:

I had it for about a year untreated. I had depression and all sorts of other things before getting pregnant and was never really treated. I just snapped out of it one day. Ds is 5 and I still have bad days here and there but it is what it is, I've learned to live with it.

Question though...what is the bloodwork for?!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I am elated to have my girl, I really am. But it's my personality to be happy. I mentioned it to my DH and he said "how can you be depressed? You're so happy and bubbly all the time." I have some good moments but I want to feel like myself again.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Jaxsonsmama2009:

I did the same thing. There is such a stigma associated with ppd. Women are supposed to be happy when they have babies. They aren't supposed to be sad or angry. They aren't supposed to feel isolated. They are supposed to be elated over having a new baby. I suffered with both my children. One of which was really bad. I had cameras installed in my home so I could watch my child sleep. Even at 12 and 18 months old. It was so crazy and stupid and just plain sad. Looking back I wonder why nobody tried to help me. I was so deep in it I couldn't see it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I get out every day and I do all my regular things, just so it doesn't get so bad. And honestly, she sleeps all night and nurses about every three hours when she's awake. She doesn't even cry. I have a supportive husband and I don't need or want for anything. I have no real reason to be feeling this way. Man, I hope I can get out of this cloud. I just feel horrible. Then I feel guilty for not being happier. And it starts all over again.

Quoting crazycurls920:

I started to feel like that too. Little sleep, always nursing, always home. I missed interacting with people other than dh. Your hormones might be a little wacky right now too. Find a hobby, get up in the morning and get dressed, do your hair, make up. It sounds silly but it nade me feel better. Exersise has slso been shown to improve moods, so if you can take a walk or if its too cold, crank up that music and show your little one your awesome dance moves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)