Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you or your child take Singulair......question **updated**

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this
Really need some help here, calling the doctor as soon as they open. DD just turned 6 less then a month ago, she has been taking Singulair since she was about 3.5. She was doing great on it then about 2 months ago they came out with the generic form which of course they started filling it with since then she has been crazy moody, she does not know why is upset, last night she said that I would not even miss her if she left (this is after a fun filled day of just me her doing crafts,shopping,games,cuddled up,Christmas movies) she is not sleeping at night. I was looking at the bottles and saw where it said some people can become depressed ect. But I can't just drop her off the medication because it will send her asthma into huge problems.

Anyone ever had this problem or any mood problems with Singulair?

UPDATE

I talked to her ped. And they were like just take her off for a week and sees what happens, was not happy with that answer so I put a call into her asthma and allergy doctor, thankfully the nurses are in office today because I knew the doctor would not be, but she did call and talk with the doctor. He said that he has seen this in about 4 other kids around DD age over the last few months and wents her to stop the med. Now. We will pick up another allergy med and see how the asthma holds out over the weekend, if need be he will see her Monday, even being Christmas eve to do some changing in inhalers. DD has been up 2 hours and doing good so far.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsErdos2011
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:17 AM

I was on it when I was 18 and had horrible mood swings.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:18 AM

My son has been the same way lately.  :(    He has been on it for 4 years now and just recently he started being very emotional.  I would contact the doctor honestly. 

dbrown1989
by Gold Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I took it from the time I was about 7 til I was 21. I never had those kind of mood swings...well, I probably did because of my age, but I never thought to connect them with Singulair and I don't beleive my mom did either or she wouldn't have let me take it. It could be a side effect though, definitely follow up wit the doctor. Good luck mama.

Fmama2
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:20 AM
Google bad side effects of singular.
My ddi will be 6 and was on it last year and she was like a total different kid.
I took her off of it after seeing a mom on here mention its mood swings and googling some more info. Her pediatrician told me that she has had several parents make the complaints I was with my dd .
Ill never have her or ds on it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by Gold Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I never noticed it until I just read this. My daughter is 5 and has been on Singulair for a few months and the generic the last two months. She's always tired, cranky and super clingy. 

Sorry you are going through this, but I'm glad you posted it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:21 AM

yes.... i took my son offa that shit...i took myself off of it too, after liver problems...there are other med alternatives out there, and if your dr says otherwise, he's full of shit and you should find a new dr ASAP!!

sorcha1945
by Gold Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:22 AM

My son is on it and he an already emotional moody little guy.  I didn't know that could be a side effect.   I will keep my eye on him a bit closer.

Ms.Pink.
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Hmmm.....now that you mention it and I think about it my kids HAVE been more moody since the generic switch as well. And they've been on it for years too.

Interesting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:25 AM
My ds3 was on it last yr for sometime. I never noticed any issues.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:28 AM
It has really gotten bad with her since the change, of course a 6 year old will have her moments but she wakes up mad and will tell me mommy I don't know why am sorry......I just did a search and there are all kinds of moms saying the same thing

Quoting Ms.Pink.:

Hmmm.....now that you mention it and I think about it my kids HAVE been more moody since the generic switch as well. And they've been on it for years too.

Interesting.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN